The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Beginner Rider Help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/beginner-rider-help-148483/)

Countrygirll 01-01-2013 06:34 PM

Beginner Rider Help

Hello all, so please forgive me if I sound really ignorant here!
I've been looking after horses for years but have only been riding a few months.
I started off riding the perfect camargue pony and we were making a lot of progress.
But then 2 more camargues came along, and they're ridden at the same time I ride. Now, every time I'm riding him, he isn't in my control and he just wants to chase the other two camargues around, even if I steer him in the opposite direction. If I have him going on the outside of the ring, he's constantly pulling towards the other and this has made me lose a lot of riding confidence and I haven't made any progress in a while.
Many thanks for any advice

Quarterhorselover3 01-01-2013 10:06 PM

I've had similar problems...I would work on getting him used to being separated from the others out of the saddle. But in the meantime while you're riding him, get him focused on you. Don't let him go to the others. Do circles, direction changes, transitions...make him move his feet and think.
This is always the advice I've been given. But since I still occasionally struggle with something like this, I would love to know more too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quarterhorselover3 01-01-2013 10:08 PM

I would definitely work on getting him less buddy sour.
Do they live together in a pasture? Is it just those horses he acts like that around or any horse?
Posted via Mobile Device

CoconutMona 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

It might help to keep him in a pasture by himself for a while, if its a possibility.

Phura 01-02-2013 04:24 PM

I had the same problem with my horse who was very buddy sour and I was a beginner as well so it was tough at first. I really like Clinton Anderson's methods from Downunder Horsemanship and watch him on RFD TV network. Ground work has made a big difference for Jasmine and I. Once we went back to ground work and did exercises such as free lunging in the round pen, lunge lining, yielding the hindquarters, etc she is much more respectful. Moving their feet around basically re-establishes your place as dominant in the "herd" and causes them to respect you more and moves their herd buddies down the list.

Also when riding, start with a buddy and do small exercises close to the buddy, and with each lesson, start moving them farther & farther away. Be sure to reward the smallest try. As progress improves, make sure you ride as often as possible alone. Jasmine really had to get used to it as most often we have to ride alone since we don't have many around who like to ride. She still has her "off" days where we can't get too far from her pasture mate, but even on those days, I push her just enough out of her comfort zone for her lesson, but not too far that she expodes, and then reward her for her efforts.

I have also found it helpful to do lunging for respect exercises on the lunge line near trouble areas such as her spooky areas of the pasture which tend to make her more nervous and this has helped too.

badger101 01-04-2013 03:34 PM

I had the same problem when i was a beginner im western rider so if your english you might not want to do what im telling you, you could if you want to anyways what i do is lets say im just in a walk and he turns his head to looks at the horses i make him look away (make sure not to hurt your horses mouth) and make him lope, you can make him trott if you want as long as you get him moving, then stop him/her if you think he is paying attention to you, do it every time the horse doesnt pay attention to you.

hope it helps, good luck

badger101 01-04-2013 03:35 PM

And you are the leader make sure you are the leader!!!!