The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Oh man.... oh man... am I stupid? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/oh-man-oh-man-am-i-14849/)

JustDressageIt 09-19-2008 12:36 AM

Oh man.... oh man... am I stupid?

I fell in love tonight.
He's really ugly and skinny, but something called out to me. He's a 4 year old 16.2hh TB gelding named Dupe. He's 5 weeks off the track and very quiet and calm. Hunter movement through and through. Slightly sickle-hocked, and roach-backed... but perhaps that's just the illusion his bone structure gives him at the moment. Man is he ugly!!
His owners are asking $2500 for him. He's papered up the ying-yang, but just didn't cut it as a racehorse. The owners are willing to give me a 30-day money back guarantee on him - including if I like him or not.

Am I completely stupid for wanting to take him in?

*sigh* anyone care to tell me that a skinny ugly horse can turn into a pretty horse?

His temperament can't be beat. He's just amazing. Quiet to lead, quiet with things going on around him....

Should I take a chance?

Oh, and if I do take him, I need a new name for him.

My2Geldings 09-19-2008 12:53 AM

Go with your gut feelings. Pics?

free_sprtd 09-19-2008 02:32 AM

AGREED^^^

personally, i love him already :)

and you can work magic! look at mia! it sounds like you already have your decision made for you in your heart, but i don't know for sure cuz im not in there lol

pics pics pics pics!!

see if they'd take less??? even if you take him and make him better and then find him a wonderful home that would be nice for him.

jazzyrider 09-19-2008 06:31 AM

i have one word for you: possum :)

i didnt think she was very pretty when i got her and she sure was skinny. but now she isnt skinny and she has turned out to be a really pretty horse. if you have a great emotional connection does it really matter what the horse looks like? :)

farmpony84 09-19-2008 09:48 AM

skinny horses can be AWESOME....Just look at these morgans and how pretty they are!

http://www.equinerescueleague.org/er...fordcounty.htm

I have a friend that bought a 16.3 OTTB. He was really thin and his neck was almost u-d because he was so thin, his coat was not shiney and he just wasnt much to look at. (He was too lazy to run- so he got fired...) 6 months later he was so pretty and shiny, everytime we went to shows people would tell her how pretty he was. His biggest vice was that he would not stand still, alot of TB's on the track have bad ground manners. But you know how to fix that anyway......

She ended up selling him, he turned out to be this bomb-proof kidsafe horse so she bought him for like 800 and sold him a few years later for 6500. So... yes, your horse can be super pretty! Go w/ your heart!

Sara 09-19-2008 10:09 AM

I would say the majority of tb's coming straight off the track look kind of funky...if you like him that much, take a chance. Amazing bargains to be found down that road.

missy06 09-19-2008 10:22 AM

If you see potential in him, DO IT.

can't wait to see pictures!

claireauriga 09-19-2008 10:24 AM

Have you got conformation photos? Hopefully you'll be able to see beneath his condition to the structure beneath, but you should also make sure he's sound and so on too. I don't know the ins and outs of the American horse market, but I know that $2500 is a lot to be asking for a horse right now ... there are loads of OTTBs going for $500 or less, after all.

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-19-2008 11:23 AM

OooOooOooo...Allie......You're getting a new horseieeeeeeeee.... :P

You KNOW what to look for. You HAVE a good eye.

I'm just gonna push... DO IT! :lol:

You already know that you are the only one that can make this decision. I would suggest that you research the papers and make sure that the papers are worth the $2500. Because you know as well as I do that you can get an OTTB for free. IF this is what you want You know I'll be here cheering you on. I can only see you making MORE if you choose to re-sell this one down the road. You have the skill to train this one too.

Good Luck!!!! And I want PICTURES...even the ugly ones.

DashAwayAll 09-19-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireauriga
are loads of OTTBs going for $500 or less, .

I have to agree. $2500 for a gelded OTT Tb is outrageous. Expecially with poor confirmation.

Have youi checked for pin firing marks? A TB can recieve a lot of damage in only one season.