The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   more pics for the color gurus (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/more-pics-color-gurus-148493/)

stevenson 01-01-2013 07:07 PM

more pics for the color gurus

5 Attachment(s)
okay more of the Draft x Appy whom did not start to get white hairs until he was older. He was a chocolate color as in hot chocolate color, turned black at age 1 stayed black no fade in the summer , now he has all the white hairs , and His face has also changed.. I stated different before, oops,, so opinions on color ? the little round bird drop spots started this summer. The whole body shots were today, i hate rain with clay dirt.
the close up was around halloween. the one of him in the pasture he was around age 5. he was boarn in 2001 . Yes the Appy does have a factor, it just is showeing Really late , and I heard that the Percherons will grey out at an older age. Any other opinions.. and No parentage pics. he came from Canada as a PMU baby.

CLaPorte432 01-01-2013 07:12 PM

893 Attachment(s)
It looks like he carries the appy Varnish gene. He's not grey.

Nokotaheaven 01-01-2013 10:09 PM

i just posted on your other thread... But now that i see more pics he DOES look appy

NdAppy 01-01-2013 10:20 PM

Varnish for sure IMPO.

Cat 01-01-2013 10:22 PM

Yup - I'm going to have to go with Appy on this one.

Madisonluvshorses 01-01-2013 11:24 PM

I think he's really pretty!!
Posted via Mobile Device

smguidotti 01-02-2013 12:12 AM

He is obviously appy :)

I don't believe there is a separate gene for "varnish" though. I understood "varnish" as another way the leopard complex (Lp) gets expressed -- the only one gene that can cause such white hair patterning.

I also believe that horses who display Lp this way are typically heterozygous for Lp (but that part I am not positive about)

stevenson 01-02-2013 12:37 AM

I had to make two post, because I could not figure out how to add pics to the first post.. I would agree Bird catcher spots . I will need to look at lacing. That first pic makes his head look like a box, and it really does not. He has a rather nice head !
I would have never called him grey and not varnish. I call him Black with freckles lol... now I will say he is black with bird catcher spots and possibly lacing..
Thanks everyone.
There were some pretty percherons on the Rose Bowl parade today, one team of black and one team white...

Nokotaheaven 01-02-2013 01:27 AM

100% caused by appy