The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Western tack and colors (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/western-tack-colors-148512/)

Quarterhorselover3 01-01-2013 10:20 PM

Western tack and colors

I'm wanting to put together a western show look for me and my horse. Right now all I have is a bridle :/ Its really nice, one ear, rich reddish brown, with some silver. I want to get a show saddle too, but I don't like the really light colored western pleasure saddles with so much silver. I would like to find something a darker color, maybe not as fancy...and affordable! Any ideas here?
Also I'm thinking about our colors...I have a bay and I was thinking about blue, maybe like a torqouise, for my shirt and saddle pad. What do you think? Or maybe purple?
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 01-01-2013 10:36 PM

You would have to match your saddle with your bridle. Same leather oil color, same leather tooling, and same silver tooling.

Quarterhorselover3 01-01-2013 10:39 PM

Yes, I definitely want it to match. I'm just having trouble finding a saddle I like that's the right color.
Any specific brand you would recommend?
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 01-01-2013 10:43 PM

I have a Circle Y show saddle and bridle combination. It's on the cheaper side from the Blue Ribbons and the Dale Chavez's.

Quarterhorselover3 01-01-2013 10:50 PM

My sister has a Circle Y saddle and I believe she really likes it. I'll look more at those. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 01-01-2013 10:59 PM

Maybe it would help if you post a pic of the headstall you have? I am not a WP person, but I sure am "matchy matchy" as my friends say! lol. I will say that someone at our barn showed WP and she had a really pretty saddle-seemed a nice quality, altho, no it was not a Chavez or the like.....I think it was a Billy Cook. There are typically some really god deals on eBay IF you know what you are looking for and are careful. I got my Bob's Custom there. But, I highly recommend that you measure a saddle you have that fits you and your horse. You will know how you measured it. Then go on eBay, and, if the pics do not show measurements (gullet, seat, etc) and show many pics of exactly how they took the pics tell them what pics you want. I speak from experience. Everyone does NOT measure a gullet, cantle, seat size the same, even tho most of us know how to do it. Also make sure the fenders are long enough, and ask the skirt length. Some of the dealers also have trials.....you can try that, but shipping gets expensive.

As far as colors-I love many colors, so I have a numerous blankets, that I put over my wool felt one. My favorites are navajo patterned multi colored tho......blankets are definitely one of my weaknesses. You can find those on eBay also.

Cat 01-01-2013 11:07 PM

Have you tried taking your bridle to a tack store and having them match it for you? We had a small tack store that only had a handful of saddles in the store but had several vendor catalogs they could order from.

As for what color - that can depend on the shade of bay. A brighter bay go with darker colors and on a darker bay go with something lighter.

Quarterhorselover3 01-01-2013 11:11 PM

Thank you franknbeans!

He's technically a brown I think but he looks bay so I'm going with that :) He's dark in the winter and bright in the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quarterhorselover3 01-01-2013 11:12 PM

And no, I haven't tried the matching Cat...that sounds like a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsecents1997 01-22-2013 09:46 PM

CIRCLE YYYYY!!!! all the way! great saddle! and go with purple!! It would go better with the reddish brown you're talking about!