The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Riding (/horse-riding/)
- - New Years Resolutions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/new-years-resolutions-148517/)
New Years Resolutions
So I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the New Years resolutions people have made this year. They can be related to riding or not I just thought it would be fun.
1. Spend more quality time with my horses- since I started this new job and work long hours I haven't been spending nearly as much time just hanging out with my horses. I still ride a lot but don't go out just to hang out with them anymore.
2. Take some riding lessons. I went from taking 3 lessons a week to not taking any and just working with my horses and riding on my own and I think I could use a tune up!
I'm still trying to come up with some for this year - I try to set reasonable multiple goals - some easy, some hard, but I really take New Years goals seriously- LOL!
1. Adopt a new fitness lifestyle permanently and lose 15lbs - SUCCESS!
2. Join a gym (and work out of my comfort zone - really get serious) -SUCCESS!
3. Make some new friends that have similar goals (we support each other)DOUBLE SUCCESS!
I tend to make my New Year goals more for my own self-improvement or benefit so this year I'm thinking:
1. Take the next step, study and become conversational in the foreign language I've been learning off and on for the past three years...become fairly fluent by the end of the year
2. Repaint the bedroom in the colors I picked out over two years ago (LOL!)
3. Build a homemade chicken brooder and hatch out some of my favorite chicken eggs (this one is entirely for my enjoyment and fun!)
No horsie goals for me this year - just personal stuff!
My horse goal is to compete with my TB this year. We did a couple shows this past fall and he made significant improvement between the two, so I'm looking forward to the 2013 show season. We're even looking at one out-of-state show in April... way excited about it!
Personally, I want to work out and be healthier in general. This was a 2012 goal too, and I think I did okay... but I can do better in 2013. Plus I have a slightly tight show coat I need to fit into. ;)
Career (with SO MANY friends in my field being layed-off/fired without cause--Az is a "right-to-work-state!--& HR being so anxious to bring in the cheaper, more malleable new graduates, I have to be prepared!), thus...
1) Update resume and cover letter/s every two months (DONE as of 12/31/12!), improving it each go-round. Thus never feeling terrified if had to find a new job (after 8 years essentially at one hospital, a comfort-zone is created)...once this occurs, I tend to take more "crap" than I should.
I never want to be in a position where I'm paralyzed about putting in a 2-week notice because I know I would THEN (under duress and emotionally BEING overwhelmed) have to update, from scratch, a workable and enticing job-hunting packet.
2) Maintain myself on an email list for immediate notification of all good psych and L&D/NICU & Hospice nursing jobs (funny how completely each specialty area is almost the antithesis of the other!); this way, if anything great comes about (& MANY GREAT JOBS HAVE been coming through the emails lately!), I can pop up my resume/cover-letter/application (read: having all names/#s/contact info from prior jobs present and accessible as well) & be interviewed, ready to move on within a week or two.
3) Maintain 6-8 weeks pay beyond initial two weeks pay coming with notice-given.
This CAN act to prevent panic on THAT FRONT, too...nursing jobs require both drug and background screening (despite my holding a valid FP Card!) & that process can take some time on occasion.
1) Put effort into continuing to pare down any and all "excess" stuff...whether knick-knacks, excess paperwork laying around, clothing not worn in > 6 months, etc...AND create peace/tranquility and SIMPLICITY in my surroundings.
With all going on in the world it is so very easy to get "down in the dumps" and REALLY negative about, well, everything!
My main goals here SHOULD have gone first as they're the most important...but; I am running a "mental track" in my head reminding me to A) Always stick to my values, including kindness, honesty, empathy, hard-work and doing as close to perfect a job as I can, simply, well, BECAUSE I can and need to. B) Don't gossip/ever get "sucked into" hurtful verbal scenarios with others because such belittles me more than anyone being discussed. This is too often forgotten. C) Remember simply to hold myself, & my impression of "me" above all others except G-d. Too often I'll get dragged down by a co-worker making some unkind comment about me ("she sure took a long time in report this morning!") & I start to feel insecure--until I remember that they have been reprimanded for providing too little info & are probably envious that I don't forget the "important" things (usually anyway! Nobody is PERFECT! ) ;0)
Well apologies for the novel, but these are just some of the facets of my life which require improvement or maintainence...no time like the present, given it is Jan 1, 2013!!!!
WISHING EVERYONE A WONDERFUL & SAFE YEAR!! :-)
Those are some awesome goals guys. I kinda stuck to horse related goals when I made this post but since everybody is sharing personal ones too I will go ahead and share mine.
In the past and still a little bit now I have suffered with feeling inadequate or not good enough. This is something I struggled with all through school and even through college. I have gotten much better over the years but I still have feelings of not being good enough. My goal for this year and the rest of my life is to stop these feelings for good. To tell myself every day that I am good enough and that if people don't like me for being me they aren't worth my time anyways.
Keep the awesome answers coming. I love hearing all about your goals and challenges.
^^ GREAT GOAL, LynnF!! And, for the record you are 100% correct...you ARE GOOD ENOUGH! We ALL ARE, right guys?! ;0)
Posted via Mobile Device
These goals aren't really New Year's Resolutions so much as goals that I've realized I'd like to pursue. It just so happens that it's the start of 2013.
1. Love more.
2. Worry less.
3. Become braver.
4. Become more considerate.
5. Become a better rider and leader (for the horse I will probably end up owning...) by taking better care of myself physically, mentally and emotionally, as well as by learning as much as I can.
6. Maintain a GPA of 4.0 for the rest of the year.
7. Increase my amount of savings and become more financially secure.
Again! Great one...love it! ^ ;°}
Posted via Mobile Device
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.