The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   body clipping for wooly mammoth pony (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/body-clipping-wooly-mammoth-pony-148528/)

Magiclovesme 01-01-2013 11:17 PM

body clipping for wooly mammoth pony

hi all.
I am looking for some advice I have a Mustang pony who looks like a wooly mammoth currently even though he's had a heavyweight blanket on since October and a medium weight since September. Show season starts early for us this year in March and I know he will not have shed out by then. so to the point I was wondering if it would be appropriate to clip him like you would a miniature horse? like I guess you could say a full body clip. I love how sleek and shiny they look. I was wondering if I do it when I should do it? what blade should I use? how do I do the face and legs? and will it change his color at all? I've also been told you should do a hot oil treatment afterwards?

Magiclovesme 01-03-2013 11:41 AM

anyone??

poppy1356 01-03-2013 12:46 PM

If you have never clipped before and you are doing it for show I highly suggest hiring a professional. Mini's aren't the only ones who get full body clipped, many show horses do. It would need to be done soon though I think.

jillybean19 01-03-2013 03:53 PM

I'm allergic to my woolly mammoth when he sheds, so I just got an Oster razor and blade (ask your tack shop which one would be course enough). Make sure he's CLEAN - all that fine dust will dull your blades out. It did mine and I had to leave him half clipped until the next day. I avoided the face and legs, but I don't think it'd be a huge issue if you're careful. I did do his fetlock, though. That was easy.

It will change his color appearance since the skin will show through and the roots are often different colors, but it should be the same as his summer coat once it grows out (a week or two)

jillybean19 01-03-2013 03:53 PM

I'd mostly be concerned about keeping him warm since he'll go from wolly mammoth to naked.

LikeIke17 01-03-2013 05:04 PM

I have my wooly bear clipped and I just keep my medium weight blanket on her. If she seems cold, I add a layer :) She's done fine so far. Though, I did do a trace clip and not a fully body clip. Keeps them warmer. I like it :) And it's awesome because she doesn't take forever to dry out after a hard ride!

Casey02 01-03-2013 07:25 PM

Wait until it gets closer to show time, there is no reason that he should go with out his winter coat that long.

Wolfetrap 01-15-2013 02:05 PM

I routinely body clipped my warmblood and I'm about to clip my new one...Give yourself PLENTY of time, if you wait to soon before a show and your horse doesn't tolerate it you could be in for an interesting buzz cut. If you can I recommend bathing them first, then letting them COMPLETELY dry. It is soooo much easier on a clean coat and it cuts down the time. Figure out how short you want his coat to be, buy a body clipping blade ( I use T-85 but it's short). Have a cooler or sheet for when he's half done so he doesn't get cold during. I would put on a few more layers too. OH AND wear clothes that you either don't mind throwing away or wear a carhart bibs. You'll have hair even in your "underlayers"!!!!!!

Tiamo 01-15-2013 04:07 PM

I'd recommend getting someone who has done it before to do it for you. Bath the pony before and I'd do it a couple weeks ahead of time so you can fix anything

Wallaby 01-15-2013 04:33 PM

A thing to keep in mind is that clipping him much later than right now means that you may end up cutting into his summer coat. If his summer coat gets cut, I have heard that it looks "different" than an untouched summer coat. I have no personal experience with that though.

And just in the interests of dispelling myths, being blanketed has very little to do with how thick or heavy his coat gets. Coat thickness/length is determined how much light is received by the eyes and genetics (why a TB in Canada -fewer daylight hours in the winter- generally grows more of a coat than a TB in Florida -more winter daylight- and why a mini in either climates would grow more of a coat than the TB of that climate).
Blanketing will lay the coat down and make it look smoother and shorter, but stick that horse outside in 30*(F) weather without a blanket and give him/her a day. Suddenly a winter coat will "appear" out of seemingly nowhere! :lol: