The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Myler Bits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/myler-bits-148557/)

WorshipWarrior83 01-02-2013 09:53 AM

Myler Bits

Okay I want to get everyones opinion on Myler bits. They are on the expensive side but we are considering one for my horse who has a sort of sensitive mouth and in general just seems very uncomfortable in regular ported bits.

66Domino 01-02-2013 10:17 AM

Are you referring to bits like the Happy Mouth? My daughter started her young horse in a loose ring and it worked well. Some places, I believe Dover, will let you try a bit with a deposit.
Posted via Mobile Device

66Domino 01-02-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Domino (Post 1825091)
Are you referring to bits like the Happy Mouth? My daughter started her young horse in a loose ring and it worked well. Some places, I believe Dover, will let you try a bit with a deposit.
Posted via Mobile Device

That was a loose ring Happy Mouth. I think it was apple flavored.
Posted via Mobile Device

goneriding 01-02-2013 11:18 AM

I like them but not all of them are made in the USA. Considering the price, they should be.

jumanji321 01-02-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Domino (Post 1825091)
Posted via Mobile Device

No, myler bits are metal and usually have a mouth piece like this with some variations on the amount of joints and the size of the port:

http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/upload/44...%20Snaffle.jpg

WorshipWarrior83 01-02-2013 12:16 PM

yeah and we would be looking at a curbed myler bit as well. Though the d ring snaffle variety Id also like to get for some ocassional training work.

jumanji321 01-02-2013 12:24 PM

Have you looked on the Myler website for bits you are interested in? A number of members on here use mylers and have had great results.

WorshipWarrior83 01-02-2013 12:50 PM

yeah ive looked at a couple of ones id be interested in but I was just looking for general impressions for how anyone that has a horse with a sensitive mouth.

Im relatively sure that my hands are staying soft as that is something my trainer and I have been working really hard on softening all my cues with my horse. My trainer really feels his mouth is just really sensitive as he has not cared much for any bit.

verona1016 01-02-2013 02:52 PM

You could try a bit rental service to see how your horse responds to it before shelling out the money (unless you know someone who has one you could try) or you can purchase one from SmartPak- they'll give you a complete refund if you're not happy with it. There are definitely a lot of people who swear by Myler bits, but what really matters is if it makes a difference for your horse.

66Domino 01-02-2013 04:11 PM

Ah, sorry Warrior. I do agree I would try before I buy. Mr daughter's horse is hard to fit so the try before you buy saved us a lot of money. :)
Posted via Mobile Device