The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Leasing out a horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/leasing-out-horse-148606/)

soenjer55 01-02-2013 07:12 PM

Leasing out a horse

I am going to be graduating from high school in May, and I am trying to get out on my own as soon as possible. The problem is that I have two horses that will be coming with me. I am most likely going to have to lease one out, as boarding ranges from 300-650 per horse depending on where I go. Although it's not my only option, it's the one I'm leaning towards right now.

I know nothing about leasing a horse- what to put in the contract, etc., and I don't want to go into this blindly, as my horses are on the line. Basically I'd just like to have more information about leasing, hear some experiences, and just get an overall clearer picture of it if I'm going to actually do it.
I'd like some help determining what price is a good one, what I should be clear/firm about, any legality issues, etc., because I have never done this before. Any help is appreciated, I'm having a bit of a panic attack here between transitioning from high school to college, looking for places to live, finding jobs, and all the other fun adult stuff that I don't like at all. :lol:

Saddlebag 01-02-2013 07:47 PM

There are on property leases and off property leases. On property means the horse returns to the property after every ride. Off property means the horse can disappear and if it goes out of state - good luck getting it back. My preference is for on property lease. If one person is willing to cover the horse's expenses you might consider full riding priveleges. If you opt for two "half" boarders then the expenses are split and each pays closer to 2/3rd your stabling cost. Contracts that are legal and binding are a must. If you don't get those you may as well give one horse away.

soenjer55 01-02-2013 08:19 PM

Thank you for the information!
I think what I'm looking for is a half-lease. For me, more control is better- The details will come down to who the leaser is and what they want with him (to compete, to do some lessons, to trail ride, or even just to have a horse to love on). But I'm not doing anything unless I know that it's 100% air-tight legally, especially since Geronimo isn't registered and horses are being stolen quite a bit recently. I wouldn't even consider an off-property lease, that sounds way too sketchy to me.
I think my ideal situation would be 50% of his expenses paid, with a leaser who is experienced (NO beginners), at least intermediate-level ability. He's not fond of men or adults in general.

verona1016 01-02-2013 08:48 PM

Half leases are much easier to handle, both from the owner and leasee perspective. Usually it's a flat rate per month and the leasee can essentially just show up and ride on her set days. The owner still takes care of scheduling vet, farrier, etc. and can still ride the horse on a regular basis (just not on the leasee's days)

Things you'd want to put into the contract are rules about what the horse can or can't be used for, whether he can be taken off the property (if yes, be sure to put that advance notice is needed, at least for overnight trips!), what tack can be used on him (either your own tack or that you approve the fit of the leasee's tack first), length of lease, etc. Most contracts I've seen also include a standard "horses are dangerous, unpredictable animals and you could get killed or maimed" paragraph. If you don't already have liability insurance on the horse, make sure you get it. Major medical is also a good idea.

When I leased horses in the past, it was for a year term and there was a trial period at the beginning- something like 28 days where I could decide the horse wasn't right for me and terminate the contract, but after that I was locked in for a year (unless the horse was injured/unrideable for a length of time in which case I was released from the contract... no one wants to lease a horse they can't ride!)

soenjer55 01-03-2013 02:15 PM

Thank you for the information, I'll be sure to write all that down! I would prefer a month to month rate, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with a contract for an entire year... A half lease seems to definitely be what I would like to do.

You mentioned putting tack in there, which never even crossed my mind... How specific should I be, exactly? Or is that dependent upon who the leaser is?

Could you possibly tell me about any problems you remember arising when leasing? I'm worried that I might have some issues sharing him with someone else, like not being able to take him on long weekend trips that might interfere with the leaser's riding time and such... Having someone else to consider would be difficult for me to adjust to. I think my mind is going into hyper-drive trying to think of little things that can go wrong and problems that might arise, haha...

verona1016 01-03-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soenjer55 (Post 1826950)
You mentioned putting tack in there, which never even crossed my mind... How specific should I be, exactly? Or is that dependent upon who the leaser is?

It's really up to you. I've tried very hard to make sure all of my tack is comfortable for my horse, so I wouldn't want someone pulling out some random extra-wide or extra-narrow saddle and throwing it on my horse. My first preference would be for someone to use my saddles, but if they wanted to use their own for whatever reason, I'd just want to check the fit first to avoid tack-related soreness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soenjer55 (Post 1826950)
Could you possibly tell me about any problems you remember arising when leasing? I'm worried that I might have some issues sharing him with someone else, like not being able to take him on long weekend trips that might interfere with the leaser's riding time and such... Having someone else to consider would be difficult for me to adjust to. I think my mind is going into hyper-drive trying to think of little things that can go wrong and problems that might arise, haha...

The only real problem I had with leasing was when I full leased a horse, and the owner allowed me to sublease to another girl at my barn. She was a REALLY timid rider, and anytime the horse would toss his head even a little, she'd back off. It was OK while I was there and riding him regularly, but then I had to leave for 2 months for work. By the time I got back, he was so used to not having to work, that when tossing his head didn't work on me he escalated until he found he could buck me off :-| Even though my horse now is a completely different personality, I've decided that if I end up going on an extended business trip again, my horse will be going in to at least part time training during that time!

I didn't have a trailer, and the one time my subleasee took him to a show, I entered in it too. (It was quite nice to have someone to share show expenses with!) so I never had to worry about coordinating use for trips. I think most people would be OK with swapping days here and there if you wanted to go away for a weekend occasionally, unless that person has a pretty rigid schedule and really needs a weekend day.

soenjer55 01-03-2013 06:32 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I'm feeling more at ease with this. A timid rider is out of the question completely, ha ha, Geronimo is a really great horse but he needs a firm and gentle hand. The only reason I have him is because his old owner was a timid beginner and was afraid of him after he really hurt her... He loves to push people's buttons but takes the back lash very personally, which just escalates the situation, so he needs a level-headed and patient rider.

66Domino 01-03-2013 08:01 PM

If your barn has an *experienced* trainer, you may want to see if the are looking for a partial lease on a lesson horse. Riders of all levels sometimes need lesson horses for various reasons. It may be a good fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 01-03-2013 08:24 PM

I was actually contemplating a similar idea- maybe I could let the barn that I will be boarding at use him as a lesson horse for a select few students. I don't have a specific barn yet, so they're being kept on my property (more specifically my mom's property, lol) but one of the barns that I am interested in has two trainers that I know and trust. Unfortunately it's also the most expensive barn, lol. But I think he would be a good lesson horse for an advanced beginner under the instruction of a good trainer, I just would want to know who was riding him and I would need to trust them and the trainer. Thank you!

66Domino 01-04-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soenjer55 (Post 1827532)
I was actually contemplating a similar idea- maybe I could let the barn that I will be boarding at use him as a lesson horse for a select few students. I don't have a specific barn yet, so they're being kept on my property (more specifically my mom's property, lol) but one of the barns that I am interested in has two trainers that I know and trust. Unfortunately it's also the most expensive barn, lol. But I think he would be a good lesson horse for an advanced beginner under the instruction of a good trainer, I just would want to know who was riding him and I would need to trust them and the trainer. Thank you!

Might work well. My daughter needed an advanced level horse to ride while hers was recovering from tendon strain. Thankfully there was a horse available. Good luck! :)
Posted via Mobile Device