The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Leg cues for pleasure? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/leg-cues-pleasure-148607/)

kmdstar 01-02-2013 06:32 PM

Leg cues for pleasure?

What are the most common leg cues for western pleasure horses to get them to jog/lope?

I bought a new WP mare for me to learn pleasure on. They told me she is spur broke, but I don't ride with spurs since I am new to WP. I can walk/turn/back/pivot/spin her without much problem but when it comes to jogging and loping we seem to be getting mixed signals.

I am going to take lessons on her in the spring to figure her out, but for now I'd like to look up as much info as I can and get her a little figured out.

kmdstar 01-02-2013 08:58 PM

Bumping up

oh vair oh 01-02-2013 09:05 PM

If I remember correctly, you would usually bump your spur against her sides rhythmically for a jog. For a lope you would put your outside spur on. I think those are the most common spur cues?

But it just depends on what your trainer says, or e-mail her previous owners and ask them.

kmdstar 01-04-2013 11:42 AM

They said slide outside leg back a little and kiss should get her to lope. Too much snow now for me to try now but that worked when I tried her out. But I'm having trouble getting a jog, I just have to find the right cue I guess. I've been using too much leg & getting a nice trot out of her but that isn't what I'm looking for right now LOL.

GottaRide 01-07-2013 02:56 PM

Bump her with both lower legs & cluck for a jog.

A lot of times, my WP will start jogging fast when his rider braces their weight in the stirrups & sticks their feet out. He needs to feel the rider's legs on his sides to maintain the slow jog. The rider stays relaxed & the horse stays relaxed.

Since the horse is spur trained, be careful that you keep your legs on her while jogging. "Hug" her with your legs to help bring her back to a slow jog. Release the "hug" when she comes back to the speed you want, but don't completely move your legs off of her side. Sit deep in the saddle with shoulders back. It will feel like you need to lean way back. Most riders who are transitioning to WP from another discipline are always leaning forward even when they feel like they are sitting up straight.

kmdstar 01-07-2013 03:42 PM

Thanks! I got the hang of getting her to jog last night, I'm still trying to get used to the spur trained thing but that may take me a while. We had quite a good ride last night!