The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   New Dog (maybe) and some questions about anxiety. (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/new-dog-maybe-some-questions-about-148617/)

OutOfTheLoop 01-02-2013 09:08 PM

New Dog (maybe) and some questions about anxiety.

Some of you know we rehomed our husky a few weeks ago. He was just not the dog for us, and we couldnt make it work. When he left, I told myself that I did not want to have another dog for awhile, and that we would not add another member to the family for a good while. Well Idk how it happened, but now we have another dog in the house. A friend of mine found this dog that had wandered up to the barn that she works at. She is an Australian Shepard, and her fur was so matted and full of burs and mud that she had to cut big chunks of her coat out. That was about a month and a half ago, and she was put in the girls moms garage, and that is where she has been living. She recently purchased her own home, but did not take the dog. New years eve we were over her moms house, and were int he garage, and the subject of the dog came up. The dad said in the morning he was taking the dog off because he was tired of it living in his garage. Me being the pushover that I am, ended up bringing the dog home with me.

Me and my fiance took her to the vet this morning and had all of her vacinations, heartworm test, fecal test, and an all over physical done on her, and a bath. Everything was good but the vet did say she had some tick related illness that she was a carrier of and gave us a round of antibiotics and said it should clear up. He estimated her age at 5, but I want to say she is closer to 7 or 8. When we went to pick her up, I had him shave some fur off her belly to see of she had a spay scar. From what I could tell,she doesnt look like she has nursed pups, but he said he could not see or feel a spay scar. As soon as I can take a few days off work she is going to get spayed.

I am kinda torn. This dog is a total sweetheart, in your lap, follows me around the yard and doesnt run off. Listens and comes when called. Everything that I wanted that the husky wasnt. She acts like she NEEDs me, and thats all I ever wanted in a dog. I am worried what people will say about me rehoming the husky, and then two weeks later having another dog. I know that naimals arnt disposable, and you cant throw them away when you decide you dont want them anymore. My intentions were never to "replace" the husky with a new dog. I guess I worry about people looking down on me for doing what I did.

On to my dilema. I think she has a mild case of anxiety. She jumps right in the car to go on car rides, but she pants and whines the entire time, and when we arrive at our destination, she cant get out of the car fast enough. She has to be right on top of you, in your lap, and demands that you be touching her. I am working on this right now, because I dont think it is healthy for her to feel like she needs to be touched at all times. When me or my fiance go out the front door, she seems to panic a little and whine and carry on, but it never last long. I want to be able to leave the house and her not have any type of anxiety at all. I am going to try the walk out the door method and come back after a certain amount of time when she stays quite, and making that time a little longer each round. But if anyone else has any suggestions for the seperation anxiety, or anxiety in the car, I am all ears.

Sorry that turned out to be so long, but give yourself a cookie for reading it all. :)

cakemom 01-02-2013 09:15 PM

I would slowly work on crate training her, there are calming medications you can give that help tons, Tractor Supply sells a great one- in a green bottle but I can't remember the name. She's afraid she's going to be left alone. Once she realizes you are indeed coming back I bet she calms. Invest in a few kongs, fill with yogurt and peanut butter and freeze them. They are ONLY for when you leave. Play with her, tire her out, give her the kong in the same place, kennel or her bed and tell her to place....then leave and walk around the yard where she can't see you. Then come back and if she runs and kps on you ignore her. If she quietly greets her greet her back. If she is hyper ignore her until she calms then greet her.
Same concept for the car, I would only carry her crated in the car.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 01-02-2013 09:34 PM

I did try leaving toys with her, but she will not play with a toy to save her life. She refuses to have anytihng to do with them. I had two kongs, one of which i gave to the huskys new owners. I am usre if I dog around underneath the entertainment center or behind and under the couches I could proboly find the other one. I will try a frozen peanut butter kong and see if that might ease her for a little while when I have to go somewhere.

As far as the calming medications, are they safe to use for extended periods? I am by no means going to rely on them permantly, but wonder if they are a safe choice to use during traning. I dont know whats all in them, I am sure that they make some natural ones?

LAhorses 01-02-2013 10:18 PM

I think this dog needs you. I believe they make a herbal caliming medicine. Try not to worry what others think things happen for a reason. You rehomed the husky to a home that is better for the dog. Can this dog be left outside? I have a farm dog that during fair weather prefers to be outside. Trust takes awhile, keep the faith.

OutOfTheLoop 01-02-2013 10:41 PM

I'm sure she could be left outside, but after having the husky escape so much even after failed attempts to keep him him, I worry about her getting out as well. I don't trust any dog to stay in the yard these days lol. As soon as I get her spayed, I want to start taking her to the barn with me and letting her run around. The BO has two intact labs and I don't want puppies. She seems content to be a housedog. With her being older and not so full of it helps I am sure. She gets hot easy, and I am thinking when the weather gets warm, having her hair clipped back a little.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poco1220 01-02-2013 11:24 PM

Someone help me here? What's the name of that coat you can get for dogs that relieves anxiety?
Posted via Mobile Device

Poco1220 01-02-2013 11:25 PM

Also, don't clip her hair. You can get her trimmed around her legs but leave her coat intact. She will shed as necessary but it's not good for Aussie to be extensively trimmed / shaved due to their double coat.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 01-02-2013 11:32 PM

I was thinking of doing her stomach hair and herr feet/legs. She's got hair coming from out between her toes that I swear is 8 inches long lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

cakemom 01-02-2013 11:40 PM

a thunder shirt

RATHER BE RIDING 01-02-2013 11:52 PM

First, I would not worry at all about the fact that you re-homed one dog and then got another. Some dogs and people just don't match up. If both dog and person are not happy, then it is just not a good situation.

It sounds like this dog has been through a lot in the last few months. I think some of the anxiety will go away in time. We adopted a dog that has serious anxiety issues. Part of it was from abuse. You can tell that she has been smacked around and when we first got her any quick movement of your hands sent her running. She would not play or touch a toy. To get her use to toys, I took a tennis ball and, at first, I would touch it to her nose and then tell her good dog and give her a tiny piece of hotdog. Tiny, because you will go through a lot. At first she did not have a clue what was going on, but she soon picked up on it and started putting her nose on it herself. Once she gets the concept, you can roll the ball and she will have to move a bit to her nose on it. This did not immediately lead to chasing a ball and playing fetch, but it introduce her to a form of play while it also helped me bond with her. It also helps to give her an idea of what is hers. This way, hopefully, when you are out and she gets anxious, she will chew on her toy and not your furniture.

I don't know the name of the dog coats that are suppose to keep your dog calm, but when I asked my vet about them, she said not to waste my money.