The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Salt Blocks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/salt-blocks-148625/)

crom5 01-02-2013 09:29 PM

Salt Blocks

My horse doesnt lie salt blocks? Why? Should he be getting salt with his dinner since hes not licking the block? ive tried the Brown one, dont like that, Now im trying the white one, And dont like that alot either?

SaddleStrings 01-02-2013 10:16 PM

I wouldn't worry about adding salt to your horses diet. Horses are really good at regulating their salt intake. I'm sure he will like on the salt block when he needs to. You could try leaving a pan of loose salt out and see if he will lick that, otherwise, he will figure out the block when he needs some salt in his body.

OneFastHorse 01-03-2013 12:30 AM

I supply free choice loose salt for mine. They can't get enough off a block anyways.

walkinthewalk 01-03-2013 07:16 AM

Salt blocks were designed for cows, who have much rougher tongues than horses.

Some horses don't like licking the block and do much better when provided with loose salt.

My four range from "I can't stand that thing" to "I'm glad you don't like it because I'm going to lick it to the ground":-P

I add table salt to the feed pan of the horse that just about refuses to lick the block.

Also, what type of salt block? My horses are much more inclined to lick a white block rather than a trace mineral block.

I haven't put out anything but white blocks since one of my seniors was diagnosed with metabolic issues and I was amazed at how much salt started to get eaten:shock:

Clava 01-03-2013 08:11 AM

I add salt to my feeds as horses diets are usually low.

Tiamo 01-03-2013 08:34 AM

I add a teaspoon of sea salt to my horses feed. He has a white salt lick in his stall as well and use it a little.

Clava 01-03-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiamo (Post 1826652)
I add a teaspoon of sea salt to my horses feed. He has a white salt lick in his stall as well and use it a little.

I add a tablespoon!:-)

PercheronMom 01-03-2013 09:29 AM

I add loose seasalt to one meal a day, if they don't want/need it then it stays in their bucket for another time, though seldom is it left behind.

We also have Himalayan salt rocks tied in random places (paddock fence, trees, stalls). They seem to prefer these over the mineral salt blocks.

verona1016 01-03-2013 01:58 PM

I tried leaving loose salt in a mineral feeder in my horse's stall, but the stall cleaners kept getting bedding in there so I eventually gave up (not sure how they manage to do it so consistently, since it's several feet off the ground...)

Now I put a tablespoon of salt in my horse's feed daily (iodized, since FeedXL showed my horse was low in iodine), which he always cleans up. I also have a plain salt block that he can lick if he needs more, but I don't think he's really using it much. There was a half-used block (standard 4 lb size) in his stall when I got him last March, and I just had to replace it a few weeks ago.

walkinthewalk 01-03-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verona1016 (Post 1827041)
There was a half-used block (standard 4 lb size) in his stall when I got him last March, and I just had to replace it a few weeks ago.

Is it in a holder on the wall or a container near the floor?

I put a 4lb block in my biggest salt block user's stall and he wouldn't touch it. I put the block in one of those metal holders that go on the wall.

I removed the block and put it in a container on the floor and he now licks the block all the time. It had a big "dent" in it three days after I put it on the floor:shock: