The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Introducing 3 new hens to a lonely rooster, HELP PLEASE (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/introducing-3-new-hens-lonely-rooster-148656/)

Cane Toad 01-03-2013 04:30 AM

Introducing 3 new hens to a lonely rooster, HELP PLEASE

Omelette my frizzle rooster, has been on his own for a day. My aunt was going to get me a few hens and chicks, but at the last minute she couldn't. Tomorrow, i am going to pick up 3 young bantam hens in a hope they will make perfect companions for my lonely buddy. 2 of the are pekins and one is a silkie cross with a naked neck. I am really wondering what the best way to introduce them would be. I was speaking to the guy and all the hens have been wormed, and vaccinated. So i am not worried about them passing on disease. Of course tomorrow I'll give them a check over for anything strange.

What is the best way to introduce Omelette to my new hens? I was thinking maybe i could run some chicken wire across the run put the girls on one side and Omelette on the other. Would that work? Only problem is i only have ONE hutch to put ALL the chickens in the night. So I'm am fear full the he might attack them, and kill them.

All you comments will be appreciated!

Thanks

Speed Racer 01-03-2013 06:24 AM

They're girls and he's a boy. Trust me, he's not going to want to kill them. He may get a little rough when mating, but roos only want to harm other roos.

Lockwood 01-03-2013 08:15 AM

When I'm introducing birds to one another, I will put them in a pen next to or along side of the established bird(s). This gives everyone a chance to get to know one another through the fence and work out any issues. Usually, it is the hens who are hard on new hens, but I have had a roo be not so nice to new hens also.
Your idea above of seperating them is a good idea, IMO, and for safe keeping at night you could put roo in a crate and the girls in the hutch, or vice versa.
I use cat carriers/smaller dog crates inside of bigger pens or enclosures often to insure the safety of which ever chicken that needs it. It usually only takes a few days and when putting everyone all togther for the first time, most chicken people do it at night while the birds are sleeping.
Then the birds "wake up" next to each other and it is not as much of a shock as suddenly there are new birds in broad daylight.

The crate could also be helpful to use if later you find Mr. Roo has one particular favorite hen who is loosing too many feathers from his attentions. :wink: