The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Whats your feeding like? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/whats-your-feeding-like-14866/)

travlingypsy 09-19-2008 03:39 PM

Whats your feeding like?

Im starting to get more and more into the drafts and REALLY would like a cross or whatever I can get my hands on :) A while back I had stumbled across a percheron geld. who was only 800
buck-a-roos :shock: and needed a little tune up but he sold before I got to him. Any ways my BO said that I would have to buy my own timothy hay to feed him and more of the high quality grains...I know they need less sugars and more fat, right? SO I would like to know what kinda draft you have and what you feed it, how much?

OH and for my mare right now, (app.QH) I feed her.. 3 flakes orchard, 3-4 flakes local grass... Alfalfa, strategy grains... And like the BO said if I have to get timothy I would have to buy it my self other wise hay is unlimited... AND GUESS WHAT! My Ferrier does drafts! It cost more but that was already for seen... :D

orchid park 09-22-2008 04:53 AM

Hi,

I live in Australia so our feeds would be very different.
I have a Registered purebred clydesdale.
She is feed the same feeds as my Arabian, T/bred and welsh pony but just given more of it then the others.
They all get a wet mash with supplements and lucerne hay and I only add different grains to each horses feed depending on there workload etc.
But feeds are about 90% the same ingredients, just a larger quantity.

Regards,

Laura.

My2Geldings 09-22-2008 11:21 AM

My Clyde cross gets the same thing as my gelding. They are both close in age and get Step One premium feed

travlingypsy 09-22-2008 01:00 PM

Thanks guys! So my BO was kinda wrong, I dont have to stick it on all timothy...

AllegroAdante 09-28-2008 03:16 AM

I would recommend a diet created by Dr. Valentine :

http://www.draftresource.com/EPSM/Draft_EPSM_DIets.html

Allegro, my Percheron, gets Strategy (probably about 3lbs/day - he's an easy keeper and not being worked much right now) with 1/2 cup of oil - we're working up to 2 cups as recommended by Dr. Valentine. He also gets 2 oz of RedCell/day due to a low red blood cell count (possibly due to a diet of sweet feed for the majority of his life - I've only had him about 6 months) and access to a mineral block. He gets pasture turn out for about 20 hours a day and then has access to hay while in his stall.

travlingypsy 09-28-2008 10:22 AM

What kind of oil do you give him? I use to give my mare vaggie oil to clear up her dander, it worked really well!

AllegroAdante 09-28-2008 10:35 AM

You can use just about any kind of cooking oil - canola, vegetable, corn , olive, sunflower, etc.

Right now I'm using vegetable oil. I've used sunflower oil in the past and he didn't care for it too much.

Solon 09-28-2008 12:00 PM

I have a pure Percheron.

He gets 2-3 flakes of hay in the a.m. and the p.m.

With his evening feed he gets 2 lbs of packer pellets (a Purina complete feed) with a cup of corn oil and 2 scoops of MSM.

NO grain/sweet feed for your draft!

And yes, get Dr. Beth's book, Draft Horses, an Owner's Manual. You can get it on Amazon.

travlingypsy 09-28-2008 02:04 PM

Thanks guys!

solon, so no alfalfa pellets? And of course no beetpulp (sweet feed) Ive never heard of packer pellelts, but I do use stategy. I will have to get that book!

There is the one darft, the belgian. He was off the market for a week and I thought he sold but he just went back up a couple days ago! I really hope I sell gypsy in time to buy him...

TxHorseMom 10-01-2008 01:43 AM

I've had Drafts and Draft crosses a long time, and I've never had a problem in feeding grains. We use a local feed (M-G) that is very, very similar to Stradgey. It's a 12-8. We feed it to all of our horses, both light and Draft without any problems. All of our horses are on pasture 24/7 and get local hay in the winter. With the exception of my daughter's friends Belgian who she recently (within the last 6 months I believe) got, they do fine. Her Belgian has ESPM and so is on a different feed. He is about 7 years old.