The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Need Advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/need-advice-148660/)

JimmyJoe 01-03-2013 08:28 AM

Need Advice

My wife and I plan to retire in 4 years. We are going to sell the house and pretty much everything, get a horse trailer and travel the country riding for as long as we are able. We are going to be living in the horse trailer.
If you were planning to do this what would you look for in a trailer?
What would be more important to you? Storage space or inside cook stove?
What would be the most important thing to you to have in the LQ?

Speed Racer 01-03-2013 09:41 AM

LQ trailers can have the bare bones of just a mattress and ventilation, up to what looks like an actual house at the front. Some even have expanding walls to give you more space.

Depending on what you want to spend, you can get one with all the amenities.

If you're planning to live in it you need one with more of everything, not less.

JimmyJoe 01-03-2013 11:09 AM

I understand all the differences, I want to hear from people who have LQ trailers that spend a lot of time in them. What do you like and not like. What would you change if you could. The trailer we have now has mattress in the nose and some storage cabinets. Perfect for weekend camping trips. Obviously we are gonna want to upgrade later. Trying to get ideas.

Mingiz 01-04-2013 10:52 PM

I have a 3 horse slant load with an 8ft LQ. I have lived in this trailer for the last 2yrs. I use the horse area for storage and my clothes.I have a freezer back there also. But it's only me and a small dog..It gets tight and there isn't enough storage.

If I was going to travel and live in one. Figuring your going to have 2 horses. I would go with a 3 horse.You can use the front stall for storage. I have a hay rack which I use on long trips. I would want a bigger LQ 10-15ft with a slide out for the extra comfort. The larger LQ's have full size fridges. Also I would go for the 8ft wide models...Also an on board generator. Just figure the more room the bigger the price... There are many options out there. It just mainly depends in your wallet. Also do you have the vehicle to handle a bigger LQ. Good luck...

Phly 01-04-2013 10:58 PM

Would it suite you better to possibly have a smaller trailer and a motorhome? The living space is typacially wider and has more amenities. And a three horse slant w/ tack would pull pretty easily. And give you lots of storage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mingiz 01-04-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1829446)
Would it suite you better to possibly have a smaller trailer and a motorhome? The living space is typacially wider and has more amenities. And a three horse slant w/ tack would pull pretty easily. And give you lots of storage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes there are a lot of those running around. A lady I met had a motor home and pulled a 3h sl w/dr. I have also seen class A's pulling bumper pulls....

Phly 01-04-2013 11:16 PM

I think a motorhome would increase the comfort level.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 01-05-2013 01:22 PM

One thing to think about re: gooseneck/LG vs. motorhome & trailer...
When you park the trailer you have a truck to use for picking up hay, shopping, whatever. With a motorhome you are driving your "home" whenever you leave the trailer. If you go with the gooseneck/LG get as many creature comforts as possible since you will be living in it. Cooking outside is the pits in a storm...unless you're the extrememly hardy type.

BarrelRacingLvr 01-08-2013 02:23 AM

Me and my mom live in the trailer Spring-Fall pretty much. We have a 15ft LQ....it is good for the two of us but at times I wish we had a slide out for that added space. A friend has like a 20' LQ with two slide outs and oh how I love that trailer and the room!!! It feels like the front room with the open space.

And trust me no matter how much you love somebody your gonna want your space. So to me the space is more important. We never really use the stove and eat off our little BBQ (stainless steel mini fancy propane looking one lol).

JimmyJoe 01-08-2013 07:02 AM

Lots of good info so far. That is what I was looking for. I also thought of going with a motor home/bumper pull, but then realized, like what was mentioned, I would not really have anything to drive to make runs to the store and such except for the motor home. because of that I am going truck trailer combo. Another thing I had thought of was, does the inside stove get used that much, or does most of the cooking get done outside on the grill? All our cooking is done outside on a grill also when we are camping. I am not sure we would ever really use an indoor stove.
Was also debating on maybe going with a 4 horse trailer and building a walk in closet in the front 2 stalls.I was also concerned about storage. I am leaning towards that. Just want to hear from people with experience to help make up my mind. Thanks to all that have posted so far. It is really helping.