The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Registering a Pinto Horse?! Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/registering-pinto-horse-help-148683/)

horsea 01-03-2013 02:38 PM

Registering a Pinto Horse?! Help!

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so I was thinking about registering my boy with the Pinto Horse Association of America but I need help! I have a bunch of questions:
First, is it even worth it? Is paying the money to register him actually worth anything in the long run? I do want to show him, and hes only 4. Second, what type would he be: hunter, pleasure, saddle, or stock? I'm stuck between hunter and stock, hes very leggy but also very wide... Plus I show English and western! And finally what color and pattern is he? Bay Tobiano I think... Thank you for helping! (Let me know if you need more pictures)

horsea 01-03-2013 03:09 PM

And here is the link to the registration form: http://www.pinto.org/information/12_registration.pdf

WSArabians 01-03-2013 03:17 PM

Is it worth it? I think so. All of mine are registered, and I'll always registered every foal. Course, there is a difference with Arabians and Pintos, but I have a few I'm planning on registering as PtHA when I get a chance.
If you plan on ever selling him, I would register him. If you think you might show on the PtHA circuit, he will need to be registered.
As for type, no way can you tell you from that photograph. Conformation shots will be needed. Really good horses can go english and western and do great at both.
I'm not a great colour expert, but I would say he is a bay tobiano, with splash (blue eye). Cute guy. :)

CCH 01-03-2013 03:32 PM

I do think the PtHA is worth it if your horse is not already registered with APHA. It is definitely worth it if you plan on showing. The cost of undocumented papers I think really helps the horse hold a value if you ever do sell him. Plus having a record of points and a show history is great!

As for type, he is definitely not pleasure type. Selecting either Stock or Hunter will determine certain classes you can show in. That does not mean that Stock only shows western and Hunter only shows english. It means that horses of the same type will show against each other. Stock horses can show english classes. Certain Stock & hunter classes are usually combined and then Pleasure & saddle type are also combined, but at larger shows they may not be.

From the picture you posted I would say stock. PtHA can help you select a group if you need them to. I think with better photos it would be a little easier.

Now for color - pinto has classes specific to the color, so you have to choose one. From the photo your horse looks tobiano with possibly frame overo causing his blue eyes and additional white. I would suspect PtHA would classify him as tobiano. He is bay or brown. Because he isn't a classic brown, I would select bay as that is what PtHA would likely want.

horsea 01-03-2013 03:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok here are a few more confo. type pics if they help

horsea 01-03-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCH (Post 1827095)
I do think the PtHA is worth it if your horse is not already registered with APHA. It is definitely worth it if you plan on showing. The cost of undocumented papers I think really helps the horse hold a value if you ever do sell him. Plus having a record of points and a show history is great!

As for type, he is definitely not pleasure type. Selecting either Stock or Hunter will determine certain classes you can show in. That does not mean that Stock only shows western and Hunter only shows english. It means that horses of the same type will show against each other. Stock horses can show english classes. Certain Stock & hunter classes are usually combined and then Pleasure & saddle type are also combined, but at larger shows they may not be.

From the picture you posted I would say stock. PtHA can help you select a group if you need them to. I think with better photos it would be a little easier.

Now for color - pinto has classes specific to the color, so you have to choose one. From the photo your horse looks tobiano with possibly frame overo causing his blue eyes and additional white. I would suspect PtHA would classify him as tobiano. He is bay or brown. Because he isn't a classic brown, I would select bay as that is what PtHA would likely want.

Thank you so much! He could have been registered Paint but the lady who originally bred him was a nutcase :( But I do want to show him a lot, hes a really good boy and I don't think he is too hard on the eyes (Not that I'm partial or anything lol)

And ok, you are probably right with him being stock type, his dam was a quarter horse. I also didn't know they separated shows like that, thank you! That helps me a lot :)

blue eyed pony 01-03-2013 03:46 PM

Well isn't he stock type! I think he's got a lot of Paint in him [edit; wow, I was right haha]. His movement reminds me a little bit of WP horses, by which I mean absolutely no disrespect because a horse that is bred for the WP ring and naturally suited to the same is a lovely ride.

I think tobiano, splash, and frame. See how on his offside fore, the bay is trying to block the white? Frame trait. So is the white spreading out over his eyes. One side basically solid and the other basically white is a splash trait. The jaggedness to his white might indicate sabino, but it might also be just another frame trait.

CCH 01-03-2013 03:59 PM

I should say that it doesn't matter what his Genetic color is because pinto registers based on their opinion of visible color. Knowing that his dam was AQHA also makes it easy to say he would definitely be stock horse type.

I am fairly confident that they will choose Bay Tobiano, stock horse type.

I have found the easiest and fastest way to register with PtHA is to fill out the form, scan it, and email the paperwork with digital photos to photos@pinto.org If you use a credit/debit card to pay, this will get papers to you very quickly.

If you have questions about filling out the paperwork, you can direct them to Cari Claxton in the PtHA registration department (she is extension 214) and email is cclaxton @pinto.org [no space between her name and @, I put that there to prevent spam]

CCH 01-03-2013 04:00 PM

Also, it may be worth it to try to get APHA papers too. If you have the name of his sire, I would be happy to look up some information on APHA plus for you.

horsea 01-03-2013 04:13 PM

Thank you all so much! I thought this was going to be difficult but not anymore :)

And wow I didn't really think so much went into his color, I knew he was bay because of the black on my favorite leg of his (his offside foreleg) (also note his "friendship" bracelet on the same leg... poor boy puts up with so much ;) )

And CCH, I don't have his sires name :( or the dam's name other than Calypso something rather... like I said the lady was nuts and I liked him for $500 without papers. But I'm excited I can still register him!