The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Stubben dressage saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/stubben-dressage-saddle-148689/)

blue eyed pony 01-03-2013 03:56 PM

Stubben dressage saddle

4 Attachment(s)
Which model is it? Anyone know? Also approximately how old? It's my new saddle. Apparently it's marked medium tree, 17 inch seat. I bought it off the following photos and haven't seen it yet [it's in the mail, should arrive sometime in the next few days].

Speed Racer 01-03-2013 04:00 PM

Looks like an Excalibur. I believe the Excaliburs are the only monoflap dressage saddles that Stubben makes.

As far as age, it's probably not more than 5-10 years old. You can always contact Stubben NA once you get it.

blue eyed pony 01-03-2013 04:10 PM

NA stands for North America? I'm in Australia :P

If it's that new then I've scored myself a real bargain. Got it thinking it was probably older, considering the price [very rarely see leather saddles for less than about $700 that are less than 15 years old, especially Stubbens as they are considered, at least here, to be a good quality brand; I paid $500 including postage]... it doesn't look like it's seen a heap of use, I can't see any stirrup wear, although the girth straps look a bit stretched. I'm hoping it fits and allows me good contact with my horse... I struggle to get my leg on in his old saddle.

I am going to blow up the images that show the stamp on the skirt, and see if I can decipher what's written between the two rows that say 'stubben'. All hail the power of Photoshop.

blue eyed pony 01-03-2013 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go. The other image [the one on its side] you can clearly see ...us RC, so based on this and the other, I think what I've got is a Romanus.

Speed Racer 01-03-2013 04:24 PM

Cool! Glad you could figure out which one it is. :D

If it's a Romanus it's older, because they're the 'ancestors' of today's Genesis line. They were made in Switzerland, so yours could be anywhere from 10-30 years old. It's in gorgeous shape, no matter how old!

blue eyed pony 01-03-2013 04:59 PM

Wonder if there's anywhere I might find the serial number? Being that it's a monoflap I can't exactly check the billet guard... just because if I can find the serial I might be able to find out exactly how old it is. I don't REALLY care, it's purely a matter of curiosty. Far as I'm concerned if the saddle is nice to ride in and safe it doesn't matter what it looks like or how old it is...

...but this one looks to be still in show condition which is AMAZING age considered. Not too many 10+ year old saddles in such awesome shape. I have to wonder how much use it's seen, lady I bought it off commented that it was lovely to ride in and she wouldn't be selling it if it fit her horses [horse it's on in the photo isn't hers]. It's only a 17 inch which makes it a touch on the small side for me. I normally ride in a 17.5. But for the price I just couldn't pass it up.

When do you think something stamped Romanus RC would have been made? Is there a particular decade in which monoflap dressage saddles were popular?

I have a thing for European-made saddles, especially Swiss-made, so if this fits my horse [praying it does, it should... he's not a hard horse to fit, and based on the photos it looks like it will] I will be a very happy person! I don't mind a harder seat, and if my young Thoroughbred bulks out as much as I hope she will, it should fit her too... I may just have a "lifetime" saddle here considering how Stubbens just won't die!

Speed Racer 01-03-2013 05:24 PM

Monoflap saddles are becoming all the rage again but they've been made for many years, so it's impossible to age your saddle just from that.

As a dressage saddle, maybe it was only used for showing and nothing else, so stayed in show-ready condition. Stubbens really are hard to kill, and you have to abuse them horribly before they start showing any real wear and tear.

If it's a blue button Stubben, it's one of the newer models made in the late 1980s or even more recently. My Siegfried has a plain silver button so I know it was manufactured in the 1960s, or early 1970s at the latest.

blue eyed pony 01-03-2013 06:09 PM

I see green buttons, what does that mean? haha

blue eyed pony 01-04-2013 09:19 AM

It's HEEEEREEE!!

Found what I think is a serial number, and another two digit number below that.

4589524 and then below that 31.

My curiosity on date of manufacture is purely curiosity, and wouldn't it be cool to be able to say, hey, my saddle's 25 years old and check out the condition it's in. I haven't actually got a clue how old it is and it doesn't matter, if it fits my horse and I like riding in it I'm happy.

Speed Racer 01-04-2013 10:28 AM

The first one is the serial number and the second is the tree size. A 31 cm is a medium/medium wide. My Siegfried has a 31 cm tree, and it fits my TB like a glove.

Good luck! Hope it fits the horse and you as well.