The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique my Appaloosa's conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-appaloosas-conformation-148736/)

horselover01 01-03-2013 10:12 PM

Critique my Appaloosa's conformation

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 19 year old appaloosa gelding.

He is about 15 in this picture though
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._7124131_n.jpg

Here is one when he was 16

Please don't comment on my riding I was like 11 then.:-)

lilruffian 01-03-2013 10:15 PM

He has a nice shoulder on him and plenty of depth through the girth/chest
Neck set is not bad either
Front legs look alright, though his cannons i think are just a touch long
Back is a decent length
Hindquarters have a fair shape, however in my opinion they are under muscled
Hind legs are not bad either
Overall he has fairly good conformation and lovely coloring ;)

horselover01 01-03-2013 10:22 PM

Thanks!! He was a stud before I got him and I now have one of his daughters, she is still green but she is really smart and is shaped a lot like him only a little bigger. I don't know if you know anything about jumping but do you think that a horse with a conformation like his would be a good jumper?

tinyliny 01-03-2013 10:52 PM

Wow! he's gorgeous. he even has a pretty face and eye, something not all Appys have. I think he's very nicely built. His back is a bit long, but a lot of Appys are that way, and his hock, while nice and big, is a tiny bit straight.
honestly, he has the build of a horse that will stay sound for many years, and you look just great on him (great braid job!)

tinyliny 01-03-2013 10:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here's a picture of Mac, the horse I lease, who reminds me of your boy. your horse is prettier, I think.

Attachment 124113

Attachment 124115

horselover01 01-03-2013 11:05 PM

Awww your guy is so cute, I love appaloosas! Well my mom did his mane so I can't take credit for it, I'm not very good at braiding his mane. He is a little sway back now but I think he still looks pretty good for his age. The only lameness issues we have had with him is when the farrier trimmed his hooves to short twice...we got a new farrier after that. :)

tinyliny 01-03-2013 11:30 PM

Well, Mac is 19 as of Aug. and he's starting to show his age a bit. He is a bit stiff when we start our trail ride and is a bit slow going down hills, but that's about it. otherwise, he does just as good as ever. (if he is ridden enough to stay in condition)

Do you still ride your fellow regularly?

Nokotaheaven 01-04-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1827776)
here's a picture of Mac, the horse I lease, who reminds me of your boy. your horse is prettier, I think.

Attachment 124113

Attachment 124115

He's gorgeous! Very foundation looking! Ever since I had my Appy mare almost 7yrs ago I LOVE Appys :)

horselover01 01-04-2013 08:11 AM

I still ride him all the time he loves being ridden, but I haven't been able to ride very much lately because it is too muddy and rainy. He just gets a little stiff if he stays in his stall all day when it is cold but we give him joint supplements to help with that and he is also starting to get a little bit sway backed but it is barely noticable. I just remembered that his birthday is in the middle of January and he will be 20 then :)

GotaDunQH 01-04-2013 11:34 AM

He has a gorgeous head! his neck ties in higher than what I like and he has a more developed muscle on the bottom of the neck than the top.