The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   OTTB's in upper level Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/ottbs-upper-level-eventing-148842/)

MyBoyPuck 01-04-2013 08:51 PM

OTTB's in upper level Eventing

I just saw the 25 riders to watch list for upper level eventing. 18 of them are Thoroughbreds! So nice to see them making a comeback over the formerly fashionable imported horses. My friend who rides hunters says they are starting to become more favorable in upper circuits in that discipline too. It's great to see them being recognized for the smart, hard working, atheletic creatures they are.

mustbemonroe 01-04-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1829229)
I just saw the 25 riders to watch list for upper level eventing. 18 of them are Thoroughbreds! So nice to see them making a comeback over the formerly fashionable imported horses. My friend who rides hunters says they are starting to become more favorable in upper circuits in that discipline too. It's great to see them being recognized for the smart, hard working, atheletic creatures they are.

Love it! It makes me happy to see OTTBS being successful in their second careers. Hopefully this trend continues!

RunSlideStop 01-04-2013 10:13 PM

This is awesome news! With so many horses flooding places like CANTER, New Vocations, Friends of Ferdinand, etc etc, it will be great to see some OTTBs "refurbished" into eventers! Now, if we can just convince the Standies to jump...:lol:

Oxer 01-05-2013 05:28 PM

Unfortunately in my area because we don't have pastures or areas for 24/7 turn out (that are close anyway), we get a lot of folks that "save" them from the track, only to then stick them in a 12x12 and wonder why they're cribbing, weaving, nut jobs. I have yet to meet someone from my area that has taken an OTTB and re-started them appropriately. It's really quite frustrating. These horses end up changing hands a few five or ten more times before ending up God knows where. There was an article in the Prac Horseman mag that stated that A LOT of the best breeding blood stock was in TB's here in the states, until people began to import WB's like crazy. I'd love to see our TB's started appropriately, rehabbed appropriately, and given the time necessary to make the mark on the big A circuits again. aaaaaaaaand end rant! :)

equiniphile 01-05-2013 06:46 PM

I saw this on eventing nation as well. Seems like TBs are definitely the most popular, with Irish Sport Horses not far behind.