The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   The Ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ride-148847/)

Koolio 01-04-2013 10:12 PM

The Ride

Horse race across the Mongollian steppes. This is an interesting program and on all night tonight! Anyone else watching or seen this?

RunSlideStop 01-04-2013 10:14 PM

Amazing! Is it streaming anywhere? We don't do "TV" :)

Koolio 01-04-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunSlideStop (Post 1829371)
Amazing! Is it streaming anywhere? We don't do "TV" :)

I'm getting it on satellite RadX.

grayshell38 01-05-2013 01:59 AM

I really hope that it is some other "Mongol Derby" than what I am thinking of-
The Mongol Derby

Koolio 01-05-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayshell38 (Post 1829670)
I really hope that it is some other "Mongol Derby" than what I am thinking of-
The Mongol Derby

This appears to be the one, but I am not sure why is race is so condemned. Fresh horses are used for every leg of the race (24 stages in all I think) with rigourous vet checks at every stage to ensure their health. Riders are penalized heavily if their horses come in with a heart rate too high, or if they are in any distress. Pacing to keep the horses healthy and sound seems to be a significant part of the race. Riders will get off periodically and lead their horses to give them a break and bring their heart rates down for inspection.

The steppe horses are much smaller than I am used to seeing adults ride, but they appear to be quite sturdy. Many were not in great athletic condition, but they werent pasture puffs either. Many we're not well broke, at least to European ways of riding, which created challenge for the riders in the race. The Mongollians did not seem to have any problem riding these horses. Clearly they have a different style of rising and horsemanship.

From what little I saw of this race, it didnt seem so terrible. I have certainly seen much worse in North American horse racing.

Maybe i missed something and someone else can enlighten me?

AnalisaParalyzer 01-05-2013 11:08 AM

there is a group who disputes their vet care, saying that VETnet has nothing to do with the race, never sent any trained vets out, that they dont have equipment etc. This group contests the race because they think there isnt enough done on the horses side.

however, the horses used belong to the local nomadic tribes, who have their own trained, and practicing vets out at their stopping stations. the horses are returned to the tribes, or to their herds after the race. i doubt the tribes would sacrifice part of their livelihood for foreigners to race.

in my opinion, the group protexting is doing about the same as PETA does to rodeo.