The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Well this stinks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/well-stinks-148854/)

hisangelonly 01-04-2013 11:24 PM

Well this stinks

So I'm taking my tb to a show for some experience. Just a local open show. I took him tonight to ride around in warmup and it was terrible. He was okay at first. Then he started freaking out because he couldn't see the other horse we brought. He threw a little fit and started calling out so I took him out and lunged him and lunged him. I had him at a trot and anytime he called out I worked him harder. I was thinking about entering him into English walk/trot until this mess!!! Ugh. He's 11. He got off the track at 6. Then he was trained on barrels. All he's ever known was speed. Will taking him to many shows help? I am thinking about going and picking up my older gelding in the morning and showing him. He used to be a show horse. I just haven't ridden him in a while because of weather and he hurt his leg (sprained a little) but he's not limping anymore or off anymore. He's pretty experienced. I'd just have to work him good because he has been in a paddock (smaller than usual) because of his sprain.
So did I do the right thing with the tb? Should I try riding him around warmup again tomorrow or just tie him and leave him? I'm so stressed I wasn't expecting this at all...
Posted via Mobile Device

hisangelonly 01-04-2013 11:25 PM

Sorry I'm a mess at Waffle House right now lol
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 01-05-2013 12:59 AM

Taking a different horse isn't going to help fix your current horse, is it?

You should bring him to the show, tie him to the trailer or put him in a stall and let him get over it. Have you taken him off property much? It doesn't sound like it- and you can't expect your horse to be an angel the first time you take him away from his buddies.

Try to get him off property as much as possible, with other horses and on his own, even if you're not riding. It's a bummer to not be able to show when you want to, but once he's learned that throwing a hissy fit isn't going to get him what he wants / not being able to see his buddies isn't the end of the world it will be a much better showing experience for both of you.

hisangelonly 01-05-2013 01:06 AM

Oh no I'm planning on keeping him there! He's staying at show grounds over night. Then tomorrow he can just stand there tied without buddies. No he hasn't been around much besides racing. I wasn't goin to show him unless he was amazing. But he's not so he can do the boring part lol. I didn't let him get away with his hissy fit. I lunged him a good 45 mins. Walk trot canter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Freemare 01-05-2013 08:33 AM

My arabs first show was crazy to. Just keep taking him to shows. Keep him mind on you, do lots of changing of gate when you lounge him. He will get over it, its a new thing. He just super excited. Its like a kid in a candy store.

hisangelonly 01-05-2013 08:44 AM

Yes I'm going to keep hauling him to shows and just walk him around and tie him where he can see things and just leave him there for a while. Hopefully he will get over his whole buddy sour thing at shows. Hopefully he will be better today. He spent the night at the show grounds. We rented a stall.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 01-05-2013 09:03 AM

Thid doesn't fix the problem but it might help at this show.

My first horse, Taffy, was a brat if I took him to a show with another horse, so I took him alone. He knew his buddy wasn't there, so he didn't look for or call to him. Worked like a charm.

I can't remember If he ever got any better, I think he did because later I took him with friends all the time.

hisangelonly 01-05-2013 09:17 AM

Hmm I'll have to try that a couple of times. Sometimes that's hard though because my mom and friends like to go too. :/. So I'll find some barrel races and other types of shows to take him to. Anything with lots of horses and people will work right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 01-05-2013 09:27 AM

Yes go anywhere. Is he buddy sour at home? Start going away from his buddys at the barn or go to the park with a friend and separate for a while, then back together, then sepatate again, and so on. Might help getting him used to the separation. Eventually most get better.

hisangelonly 01-05-2013 09:37 AM

No not really. He's pretty good at home and lessons. I guess he's just stressed out
Posted via Mobile Device