The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Help.. lost a toe nail! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/help-lost-toe-nail-148875/)

Alisha S 01-05-2013 09:06 AM

Help.. lost a toe nail!

Got stomed on by my horse (wearing thongs...as I was going to the beach) really bad on the road anyways my toe nail is fully ripped off :/ just wondering anyone else with the same problem, how should I treat it?
Posted via Mobile Device

66Domino 01-05-2013 09:11 AM

See the doctor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lockwood 01-05-2013 09:13 AM

Happened to me many years ago even though I had boots on. The horse stomped on my foot while twisting to see something she was spooking at.
I kept the toe taped and covered for protection until a new nail grew in, which took a long time.
The foot/toe was bare and exposed when it happened, which could cause issues for you, but either way you might want to call your doctor.

PaintHorseMares 01-05-2013 10:59 AM

It will grow back without you doing anything. I've lost a bunch over all the years getting stomped on playing basketball.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faceman 01-05-2013 11:24 AM

Toenails grow back and broken toes mend - all by themselves. You will be fine.

Now that you have learned that horses and thongs don't mix, you are ready to move on to Horsemanship 102.

Just kidding...:rofl:

Foxhunter 01-05-2013 12:45 PM

oh well I am learning, I thought thongs were worn higher up and certainly not on one's feet!

heck, my toenails are deformed from where they have been stomped on so many times!
Last time it happened I was legging the rider up and the horse spun into me, stood on my foot and continued to spin.
It hurt.
I was busy and limped for a bit until the pain wore off. When I finished that evening (some 8 hours later) and saw blood on the kitchen floor, examined all the dogs and realised that it was me leaving a trail!
On removal of my socks did I realise that not only was the big toenail ripped off, my toe was split open to the bone.
After bathing it, a piece of gauze and duct tape held it together.
I lived!
You should be up to date with tetanus jabs.

Faceman 01-05-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhunter (Post 1829944)
oh well I am learning, I thought thongs were worn higher up and certainly not on one's feet!

Haha...I was going to mention that, but thought I'd better not...:rofl:

Joe4d 01-05-2013 02:10 PM

this is a girl thing I see alot, runnign around horses with flip flops, may of the same girls that are miltant naggers about helmets. Get some safty shoes or at least sturdy shoes/boots around horses. As you can see thongs aka flipflops aka shower shoes and horses dont mix.

WSArabians 01-05-2013 03:23 PM

I dropped a big metal can of juice powder on my foot once when I was about seven. Bruised the crap out of big toe and killed the nail, so it was just hanging on by the cuticle end.
We went swimming the water kept lifting it up, so I had to have my mom rip it off with pliers. It was all good after that. :)

AlexS 01-06-2013 06:19 PM

I lost about 4 nails a few years ago. I was watching a thunderstorm on my porch in bare feet, and the foster kids thought it would be funny to push me out into the rain. They pushed me onto the concrete steps and off came the nails. Gosh it hurt.

They grew back normally, but I was really careful to keep clean dressing over them until they started to come back in.