The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hi from barefoot traveller! (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hi-barefoot-traveller-148888/)

Katy and Kaylee 01-05-2013 01:02 PM

Hi from barefoot traveller!

Well not quite travelling right now, but I have been on the road with my beautiful Haflinger mare Kaylee for almost three years, covering 5000 km in western Europe (Germany, France and Spain), so I still think of us as travellers! :)
On the road Kaylee was pulling a swiss-army cart with all my movable household on it, and I walked beside her, leading her. She had some trouble with her feet when I got her, but barefoot/boots worked very well for her, and after a transition period of some months from shoes to boots she never had any problems at all. I can honestly say that her boots were REALLY tested and that they really performed!
I am not a horse expert at all, Kaylee and I learnt the ropes together day by day, but it worked out really well for us. Now that we are more or less settled in SW France I would like to start riding her, and I am getting a (western) saddle and all the tack. I am looking forward to begin a new adventure with this gorgeous friend, and I always found this forum very useful and informative, so I finally decided to stop lurking and join in.
Well met you all!
Katy

grayshell38 01-05-2013 01:09 PM

Wow. That is very cool! Welcome to our humble forum. I hope you stick around, as it sounds like you'd have a lot of very interesting stories to share. Do you have any pictures of your horse/cart set up? We love pictures here. :-)

Katy and Kaylee 01-05-2013 01:22 PM

I will post some in the next days, it's a promise! :)

Stories, oh yes, we have some of those!

Thanks for the welcome!

HorseLovinLady 01-06-2013 10:02 PM

Welcome!

loveduffy 01-07-2013 12:26 AM

Welcome to the forum you will find that people here are very helpful so sit down and ask away it could not hurt :)

Katy and Kaylee 01-10-2013 12:29 PM

Thank you very much everybody! I am sure that as soon as we start working on this new gig I will be full of silly questions to ask!
As promised some days ago, I posted a few pics from our trip (they are among the pics of Kaylee, in my "barn"), including a typical one-night camp, Kaylee's Sieltec harness, boots, and the double Swiss-army cart (from First WW), which is made up of two connected identical carts, which can be split and pulled separately over difficult or steep passages. It's not an elegant vehicle, but it proved wonderfully practical on the road.
Hope that satisfies your curiosity a bit :)

Clava 01-10-2013 12:35 PM

Hello and welcome:D, I have two haffies and mine is barefoot too (but we certainly don't clock up your miles!!!:lol:). I would love to see some photos:D

Katy and Kaylee 01-10-2013 12:53 PM

Hi there! I posted some pics in my "Barn", since I am not very practical of posting pics in threads yet!

Yep, barefoot worked fine with us.
Our experience on the road was that you can easily do 150 km on asphalt, over, say, a week, and the feet will be ok. After that I needed to put on boots, cause the edge was getting somewhat flatter than I liked.
But we met a guy on the road who had travelled 1000 km in a year, with pauses in between, with two heavy draft-horses, both barefoot, and never used boots. Their feet were absolutely superlative.