The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horses are street legal...info? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-street-legal-info-148924/)

FaithCat 01-05-2013 08:22 PM

Horses are street legal...info?

For awhile, I've had the dream of riding a horse on the road and through the drive-thru of one of our icecream shops! I think my horse would be fine on the street. He's been in parades and doesn't spook at cars, bikes, ect. So I did a bit of research---from what I understood, horses ARE street legal in Texas.
Before I just gather my riding buddies and take off down the road, I think I need to know a little more about street-riding.
What happens if your horse chooses to have a bathroom-break in the middle of a road?
I know that there is no riding on highways, but is it okay to ride anywhere else?
Does your horse need to be shod to go street-riding?

Any other info/experience you've had would be wonderful!

Phly 01-05-2013 08:27 PM

Never had any issues riding on roads in Indiana. But I honestly don't know the "laws". I did notice the amo have plates on some of their buggys. And we ride bare foot on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

66Domino 01-05-2013 08:29 PM

Call your local police department. They can tell you if thereare restrictions on where and when you may ride. There may be rules regarding reflective equipment necessary. Never forget the first time I saw a couple of cowboys waiting at a traffic light in Phoenix - and I mean downtown Phoenix!
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 01-05-2013 08:48 PM

There is a useful website here:

Riding on Public Roads

MySerenity 01-05-2013 09:46 PM

I know that horses are street legal in Wisconsin and are supposed to be offered the same rights as a car. Obviously, if there is a minimum speed limit like you suggest with highways that doesn't count. I suppose going through drive-thru would be more of a private property type thing. The people in the drive thru might think it's awesome and excuse any "leftovers" or they might be annoyed. You could offer to come back and pick it up (what's left of it) if your horse does go.

I rode on the road a lot when I was younger including going into town and never got into any trouble. Some people are jerks though and will drive very close to you, throw stuff at you (I know, jerks, right?) or honk at you. So, make sure your horse is ready for that type of crap. It sounds like your horse should be ok but just to be aware of this. Your non-horsey neighbor may see you and honk thinking that they are saying "hi" and not realize that it can spook a horse. Also, keep an eye on the footing because broken bottles etc are common.

I actually loved riding on the road when I was younger. It's different than trail riding but fun anyways.

xJumperx 01-05-2013 09:57 PM

Can I add a question? Do horses have to ride on the sides of the road, or can they be right in there in the lanes with the cars?? As long as they are obeying regular street rules, of course. This sounds like fun!!

usandpets 01-05-2013 09:57 PM

It depends on where you are. Smaller towns are more lenient where bigger cities are strictly against it. You may need to get a permit in the bigger cities. It's not only for you and your horses safety but if it was to disturb traffic. Some smaller towns have ordinances that you have to clean up after the horse.

As far as needing shoes, I think you would only need them if it was done regularly or daily. An occasional ride would be fine without.

More and more drive thru places won't serve you due to health risks and possible "messes" outside.

There are towns setup to accommodate horses. One of those is Narco, CA. They even have crosswalk buttons at intersections that are horseback height. I have a YouTube friend that lives there that posted a video showing them. I'll see if I can find it.

Riding on any roads, you have to be extra cautious. Some people are not aware how horses react. They will drive by fast and honk their horn. Just like riding a bike, follow the rules of the road but try to give extra room.
Posted via Mobile Device

flytobecat 01-05-2013 10:03 PM

It depends on your area. Where I live, it's not uncommon to see horses riding on the street. Some of the restaurants even have hitching posts to tie them up at.
However, our local McD's will not serve you if you ride through the drive-thru on your horse. So you may want to call ahead before you ride over.

Missy May 01-05-2013 10:17 PM

That sounds like it would be ooooodles of fun - if there were no cars, or bicycles, atv's, etc.,. :) It is good that you are going to actually try and make it happen...my hat is off to you. I won't go near pavement anymore, just the "out back", but if there were no cars, it would be heaven!

usandpets 01-05-2013 10:34 PM

I think this is the video but I can't view it on my phone:
*~*Halloween Costume Ride*~* - YouTube

xJumperx - you should stay to the side of the road. With the many distractions drivers have, they might not see you easily. Also, just like riding a bike, stay in single file. Don't spread out across the road and block traffic.
Posted via Mobile Device