The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Laminitis - Isolated incident? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/laminitis-isolated-incident-148925/)

5kiddos 01-05-2013 07:25 PM

Laminitis - Isolated incident?

I looked at a horse today and was told that he had laminitis this past fall. It is apparently better now, but wondering if this will be an ongoing problem. She thought it was probably due to his hooves getting overgrown/not being cared for properly (she recently took the horse in for friends that were boarding and had no time for him and his feet had gotten pretty bad). Is this common or is it likely he will have ongoing/chronic problems? It was mentioned that dietary changes and stress can also cause laminitis. Has anyone had a horse that had an isolated case of laminitis and then never had it again?

Elana 01-05-2013 07:57 PM

Laminitis is an ongoing maintenance problem. It can be managed.. but it must be managed.

Laminitis is rarely caused by over grown feet. It is more often caused by other events such a carbohydrate over load, cushings disease, insulin resistance, and other metabolic disorders.

Personally I would not buy a horse with any history of laminitis (or pay for any horse with a founder history unless a very valuable stud). In fact, I would be hard pressed to take a horse with a history of founder (laminitis) for free. I would not want the on going maintenance issues and tendancy of future episodes. JMO.

Chevaux 01-05-2013 08:25 PM

One of my horses (many years ago now) foundered on me. I addressed the situation and he healed up well. His was weight related. After that time, I kept his weight down and watched him but he never did it again - I had him for many years after that incident.

In broad terms, horses can be food/metabolic foundered (as was my guy) or road foundered (hard work). Either way, if you are considering this one, you should get a vet in on the decision making process as this boy may be at risk for future laminitis attacks and you'll need to know what you're getting yourself into and how it can be handled.

Catpeedontherug 01-05-2013 08:27 PM

My mare had laminitis before I got her.
There was little rotation, thankfully.
I keep her feet maintained and she's never taken a lame step. We ride 4-5 days a week in hilly landscapes.
Her feet are very sensitive and I use hoof boots with no problems.

I dry lot her in the Summer, full pasture in the fall and winter. No grains, no alfalfa or rich hay.

I have had no problems due to her laminatic past.
None.

It all depends on the severity of the founder.

Trinity3205 01-06-2013 01:37 AM

Sometimes laminitis is indeed a one time event and once remedied, so long as the circumstances are not repeated, the horse will be fine. (for example road founder or droughted grass induced laminitus etc) It really depends. (Laminitus without rotation/actual founder)

If the horse is IR or Cushings or has had a sever case of actual founder with rotation, this can and usually is an ongoing issue to be managed and likely will reduce the soundness of the animal.

I however do not put much stock in an explanation that (" his feet were overgrown" Not a usual reason for laminitis. If I wasnt 100% sure why it happened, id probably pass on the horse. Knowledge is necessary otherwise its a crapshoot.

OneFastHorse 01-06-2013 01:33 PM

Founder is founder. It is the rotation of the bone. Laminitis is laminitis. Is is inflamed laminae. They are two separate things. .

Laminitis can be caused by a number of things such as weather, diet, injury, etc.

It can be managed with a low NSC diet, grass restriction, cold therapy (such as a game ready machine) and proper hoof care. Diet and good care being the most important. Cold therapy for a flare up.

A good friend of mine (who is also an amazing barefoot trimmer) has brought back quite a few sever laminitic horses. She currently owns one now. He does well on proper diet and a good, proper trim. He is dry lotted bc grass will flare up laminitis. He still had flare ups occasionally (who knows why), but when he does, she immediately game readies him to pull out the inflammation.

So yes, it can be managed, but its most likely always going to be an issue. I, personally, would not take on a horse who has been laminitic.
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 01-06-2013 02:01 PM

Well, it all depends......
Cost of the horse....u wouldn't give more than an average "rescue" fee, unless the seller provides RECENT xrays of the feet who show no rotation or sinking.

Would you board the horse or keep it at home? In a boarding situation you have little or no influence on how it is kept and fed.
Do you have an excellent vet and farrier, or best, barefoot trimmer available?

It all comes down to the maintenance of the horse, diet, exercise, hoofcare, way of living.
I would take one, but I know how to keep, feed and trim.

5kiddos 01-06-2013 04:48 PM

As a new horse owner, planning on boarding the horse, I think I will have to pass on him. Just not something I want to risk at this point. Thanks for the info!

Trinity3205 01-06-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFastHorse (Post 1831533)
Founder is founder. It is the rotation of the bone. Laminitis is laminitis. Is is inflamed laminae. They are two separate things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually, to be very specific, Founder is laminitus at its advanced stage.

Founder IS laminitus...but laminitus may or may not be founder ;) Founder implies rotation from laminitus.

However in my area, everything is founder. There is no differentiation in the local populace...even vets will use improper terminology to communicate with local folk.

OneFastHorse 01-06-2013 07:56 PM

Founder happens BECAUSE of untreated and/or severe laminitis. Founder is a repercussion of laminitis. One is not the other. Both may be present at the same time, but they are still two different things.
Posted via Mobile Device