The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Genetic Testing 5 panel (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/genetic-testing-5-panel-148935/)

LuvMyPerlinoQH 01-05-2013 08:45 PM

Genetic Testing 5 panel

Cross Fingers I get all N/N back sending in for Bills Boston Bar and Light Hershey Kiss also am sending samples to PetDNA to do the comprehensive agouti on Light Hershey Kiss. Doing their DNA for AQHA too. Using Animal Genetics for the 5 panel and the DNA.They seem to have the fastest turn around time. $330 bucks later but the peice of mind is worth it.

NdAppy 01-05-2013 08:49 PM

I didn't think that AQHA was excepting any testing from anywhere other than UC Davis anymore?

LuvMyPerlinoQH 01-05-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1830722)
I didn't think that AQHA was excepting any testing from anywhere other than UC Davis anymore?

You know what your right dang it I'll have to do the DNA thru UC Davis they are just sooooo slow.

NdAppy 01-05-2013 09:19 PM

If your doing the five panel test through the AQHA you get a copy of the results as the AQHA then owns that information, that's part of the reason it takes so long because it gets sent to AQHA first. Personally I wouldn't be using that kit because I want to know what other information they are using it for.

LuvMyPerlinoQH 01-05-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1830780)
If your doing the five panel test through the AQHA you get a copy of the results as the AQHA then owns that information, that's part of the reason it takes so long because it gets sent to AQHA first. Personally I wouldn't be using that kit because I want to know what other information they are using it for.

So I'll just do the DNA thru them and the others from Animal Genetics and PetDNA

CCH 01-05-2013 10:15 PM

Do you need HYPP and HERDA testing? Those are easy to rule out with pedigree. PSSM and GBED you should probably do. MH is rare and only comes into play if your horse is going to have anaesthesia. I'd say the MH could wait if necessary. If you can rule out HYPP and HERDA it would be cheaper to buy individually. I haven't had long wait times with either UC Davis or Animal genetics. I think the longest I waited was 10 business days from receipt of my sample.

DNA typing for parentage verification is something you definitely should do if they are breeding animals.

Like NdAppy said - AQHA/APHA (depending on who you buy from) owns those results. Until they announce what they're doing with all that data, I'll pay more to own my horse's genetic info.
Posted via Mobile Device

LuvMyPerlinoQH 01-05-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCH (Post 1830882)
Do you need HYPP and HERDA testing? Those are easy to rule out with pedigree. PSSM and GBED you should probably do. MH is rare and only comes into play if your horse is going to have anaesthesia. I'd say the MH could wait if necessary. If you can rule out HYPP and HERDA it would be cheaper to buy individually. I haven't had long wait times with either UC Davis or Animal genetics. I think the longest I waited was 10 business days from receipt of my sample.

DNA typing for parentage verification is something you definitely should do if they are breeding animals.

Like NdAppy said - AQHA/APHA (depending on who you buy from) owns those results. Until they announce what they're doing with all that data, I'll pay more to own my horse's genetic info.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep Light Hershey Kiss has some Poco Bueno breeding and I'm going to do the 5 panel just to rule everything out I think it adds more value to them and it will help me when I us them for breeding in the future Light Hershey Kiss is in foal right now to Dualing Lil Highbrow he tested N/N on everything so no worries with this foal but I may use someone else next year and alot of Cutting horses have herda stuff going on.

Ace80908 01-05-2013 11:11 PM

I just used UC Davis for Daisy's HYPP testing, got the results via email notification the afternoon of the second day they had it. Very quick.

FGRanch 01-05-2013 11:17 PM

Animal Genetic's is super fast I love them. I will be doing my DNA throught AQHA and the 5 panel test through Animal Genetics :)

FGRanch 01-05-2013 11:18 PM

Oh also, good luck on a all negative results!