The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Miss Annie's foaling thread (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/miss-annies-foaling-thread-148943/)

anniegirl 01-05-2013 09:47 PM

Miss Annie's foaling thread

6 Attachment(s)
Ok...so I actually started one for Annie a back in October...but didnt contribute to it often because I became so involved in other foaling threads,,,lol..and I was a tad discouraged with some of the terrible comments some people were making...not on my thread..but others. Well...now in my fourth month of HF...I feel Im ready to take any comment!! Ha! Anyhow, Annie is my beautiful 3yr old registered paint, she is bred to an AQHA stallion named "Watchem Two Step" aka "Jack", who is one of "Two Eyed Jack"s great grandsons...he is...I believe...a red dun...

Annie's due date is up in the air as the previous owners said the stallion was in the pasture with her starting in march of last year...and we purchased her at the end of may...we were told he was seen covering her the week before we took her home..not that that matters...I have heard of many mares still letting stallions cover them long into their pregnancies. So...I guess she could be due anytime from end of feb...to end of april...im guessing closing to april as I find it hard to believe she was in season first off in march..but anything is possible here in canada..LOL

Ok...so...Ive done as much research as I can possibly do...she has been checked by the vet a couple times..who seems to think she is due sooner than later...so who knows...lol and now as the time draws nearer...Im getting excited!!! She is looking good and is the sweetest girl...well...IMO...the baby kicks up a storm during her evening treat fest and its soo cool to watch...so...here we go...bear with me...LOL

Here are some pics ranging from the day we brought her home..til our famous New years photos...:D please enjoy!!! if you dont....please dont tell me about it!!!

anniegirl 01-05-2013 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the sire..."Watchem Two Step"

FGRanch 01-05-2013 11:15 PM

I have mares that cycle in Jan, who have not been under lights here in Alberta.

Has she started to bag up at all?

kassierae 01-06-2013 12:31 AM

I have nothing to add but the fact that I call my Annie either Annie girl or miss Annie. Or grouchy pants, she's a grump lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merlot 01-06-2013 12:38 AM

I'm sorry to hear you saw some nasty comments on here, in my experience the people on here are nothing but positive and, actually stunningly nice :-)
Love the shot of your girl from behind LOL I recognise that lopsided look! ;-) Good luck with the foaling hope all goes well.

anniegirl 01-06-2013 12:51 AM

FGR...no she has not bagged up at all yet...only difference I see is that her nipples are larger and thicker than they used to be. She is also a maiden mare...so could make it a little harder to guess!!!
and Merlot...your thread is THE BESTTT!!! You have actually inspired me!!! Poor Annie is getting so large she can hardly walk...lol the others try to get her to play and she used to love it...now she glares at them as if to say " can you not see how frickin BIG my stomach is"???????? LOL

Merlot 01-06-2013 01:24 AM

See what I mean? nothing but positive LOL Thanks Petal :-)

anniegirl 01-06-2013 10:38 AM

Yes! I dont mind constructive critizism...if someone thinks Im doing something horribly wrong...lol..I guess Ive seen too many threads about how no one should be breeding...blah blah blah...lol One observation I have made in my herd...well small herd of 3...but herd none the less...lol...is that my daughters QH pony is now bossing Annie...when Annie was the lead mare for the last 7 months....now Annie still is the boss of my gelding Jasper....thought that was kind of weird...Ive been doing some research on herd behaviour..and the only thing I can come up with is that sometimes mares later in their pregnancy will give up there lead spot...simply because they dont have the energy...but usually take it back once they have foaled....has anyone had a simular experience within their herd??

Merlot 01-06-2013 01:31 PM

Yep herd dynamics are a constantly changing thing. It fascinates me - I manage a herd of around 5 - 7 horses (depending on time of year we shift some in to other paddocks etc)
Everytime we move or change something, the herd dynamics shift.
Merlot was very meek during her pregnancy, through most of it she wouldn't have anything to do with Persil who was her companion once we shifted her out of the herd. The morning she foaled she was all over him like a rash but now that she has her baby she is treating the Persil as if he is a the local paddock paedophile LOL.
Persil behaves like the paddock stallion when he is in the herd but is being very mild around Merlot and Zephyr I am pleased to report ;-) (so far anyhow)
So yes herd dynamics change constantly.

anniegirl 01-06-2013 02:32 PM

Thanks Merlot! Thats what I figured...just thought it was weird after all this time that suddenly the little pony moved into the lead!!! Im also wondering...its so hard with not knowing her exact due date...when am I supposed to separate her from the others?? I think this will stress her greatly...alot of our friends are telling us she should be brought into a stall every night soon....but they have two shelters...one of them being right in the barn...and Annie has never been in a stall before...they are outdoor 24/7...I think this may upset her more than needs to right now...or anytime for that matter....and another thing Im getting sick and tired of ppl telling me already is that we should wean the foal by 5 months...NO WAY....they can rake me over the coals all they want for that one...but I dont care....growing up I always had horses...not that that makes me an expert...but I certainly recall the day when my pony had her filly...they were never separated from the heard...that mamma took care of her...and when she was about 9 months old...that mamma told her to STOP nursing!!! LOL I remember poor Sharra trying and trying...then just giving up...:)