The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Lab/Pit? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/lab-pit-148967/)

DriftingShadow 01-06-2013 02:26 AM

Lab/Pit?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all! This is my boy Emmett! I adopted him as a companion for my older german shepherd about 2 years ago. The workers at the animal shelter said the woman who brought his litter in said that her black lab had gotten "knocked up" from an unknown father. She said it was either her neighbor's pit bull or her other neighbor's golden retriever.

I have always assumed Emmett was lab/golden because his hair grows pretty long. Around here pit mixes are common however, and more and more people keep telling me "ew he's a pit mix" (they buy into their reputation. I however do not. A good dog is a good owner and vice versa. There is no "bad breed".).

Do yall see pit mix? I don't. I am just curious to what others see.

Also, for you lab lovers he is my first lab and I am a little worried about his development physically. He is tall (almost the same height as my shepherd) but very lanky. His last vet trip put him at about 68 lbs. Is that a normal weight for his breed? He is fed the recommended amount from my vet, but he must burn it all off at the barn and such. No fat sticks to him (wish I had that problem) ha ha. Is it ok that he is not as solid as most labs i have seen as of right now? Or should I be concerned?

As for what he is mixed with, here is a puppy pic (~ 3.5 months) and one that was taken earlier today (~ 1.5 years)

MN Tigerstripes 01-06-2013 02:29 AM

He's still a baby, no worries about the lankiness. Frankly labs aren't supposed to be huge anyways. My 11 yr old boy weighs in at about 70lbs and he is a good weight.

Do you have any side pics?

BarrelracingArabian 01-06-2013 02:41 AM

I think more golden then pit. Also yes labs generally take a little longer to mature. My lab is 105 pounds and close to the size of a small great dane, although purebred and had papers. He is what is called a blockhead and they seem to be generally bigger. Labs vary in weight/ sizes but i'd say as long as he looks healthy and doesn't appear too skinny or chubby you should be fine . He

DriftingShadow 01-06-2013 02:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have one I was able to take as he laid here right now, but it might not be the shot you need. Also added one I took of him in september while he cooled off in our kiddie pool. Older pic, but still the same body type. I will try to have my roommate hold him for me tomorrow so I can snap one while he is standing anf not wet. Every time i try with just my phone he is right up on me wanting cuddles, ha ha.

No ribs or anything are visible. They can be felt though if you run your hands over him. The area between his hips and back (would it be considered his flanks, like a horse? ha. not sure about dog terminology) is pretty obvious. He has that "tucked up" look back there.

The only spots that concern me are the knot on his skull (have heard this is common in labs?) because it is still pretty pronounced like he hasn't grown into it yet, and though his spine is not visible when looking at him, both it and his ribs will kind of poke through to say hey when he's moving around.

I will take some pics of him tomorrow! Thank you though for the info about your boy :) Makes me feel better. Our neighbors have a chocolate lab with fat rolls and they always feel the need to inform me that Emmett is almost emaciated :/ (which I hope the vet school would have said something to me about when he got his shots last month if it were true).

BarrelracingArabian 01-06-2013 03:13 AM

Yes thw knot on the back of his head will always be there. Smokey still has his. Smoke was pretty sucked up in his flank area till he was about 2.5-3. Gosh if i wasnt on phone Id show you as I'm horrible at explaining haha. He looks healthy maybe could even use a touch more weight but then again of he is really active and still young he can look lanky but still be in good weight / health.

DriftingShadow 01-06-2013 03:21 AM

Yeah I am wanting him to gain just a few more pounds. I am hoping he will muscle up some now that he is getting out of the puppy stage, maybe that will help. He gets fed 2x a day, 3 cups both times and he wolfs it down like he is constantly starving.

Its very new to me. My german shepherd has never been really food motivated. He gets 1.5 cups 2x a day and sometimes he doesnt even eat. He has been that way since I got him at 8 months. and then I have emmett who is like "socks!!!!! im so hungry!! pizza!!! im so hungry!! trash!!! im so hungry!!! breakfast!!! om nom nom im so hungry!!!" Hes turning me into a huge lab fan though! My shepherd is all business, and very serious. Always has been. Just his way. Emmett is always up for a good time and laughs. I love it!

BarrelracingArabian 01-06-2013 04:11 AM

Yes my Doberman is food motivated but doesn't wolf down her food smokey is just like emmett. He should fill out some smokey is a tank haha.

LadyDreamer 01-06-2013 04:16 AM

My lab mix during the summer is very lean. It worries me every year, as it has the nine years we have been together. In the winter, he fills out and looks great. He is so much more active in the summer, too.

I am a sucker for lab mixes. I love my guy to pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device

Icrazyaboutu 01-06-2013 04:45 AM

I vote lab X golden

Saddlebag 01-06-2013 10:56 AM

His coat denotes a mix, perhaps something with a longer coat? Are his toes webbed like a lab's. He looks a lot like a friend's golden retriever except for the black coat.