The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Let the car shopping begin! *rant* (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/let-car-shopping-begin-%2Arant%2A-148976/)

riccil0ve 01-06-2013 10:22 AM

Let the car shopping begin! *rant*

It was almost a year ago that my truck was totaled by an uninsured idiot running a red light. Having dropped down to liability literally days earlier, I got nothing but the hood ornament off my beloved truck. It was also days before I was moving an hour north.

So in the year since, I've managed to find the perfect job and everything has been working out financially for a few months. Went to the bank, got pre-approved [not for much, but I'm young with slightly below average credit and no co-signer], and now the car shopping begins!

I had three good options yesterday; '95 Subaru Legacy, a '95 Honda Accord wagon, and a '99 Accord sedan. They all were under 200k miles, drove great, loved em. But someone called just before I got there and put a hold on the sedan. Who puts holds on used cars? Without cash in hand, why does someone get to hold it from a phone call? So that person bought it and that was frustrating. The wagon was clean and very nice [I was picturing maroon, icky interior, a bit beat up] but was 190% it's market value and my bank won't finance me that high. They may, but I'd have to get another approval. I can call Monday.

And the Subaru. Oh my, I would have LOVED that Subaru. Always wanted one, it was so nice to drive, I loved it. But it just came in as a trade in when the guy called me about it, they ran a carfax on it while I was on the test drive and it had been totaled in '08 and was on a rebuilt title. My bank won't go for that. So dang.

I'll browse the dealerships today online and see if there's anything else, but it was a very exhausting first day. Buying my truck was so easy. I miss that truck...

Okay, vent/rant over.
Posted via Mobile Device

66Domino 01-06-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1831284)
It was almost a year ago that my truck was totaled by an uninsured idiot running a red light. Having dropped down to liability literally days earlier, I got nothing but the hood ornament off my beloved truck. It was also days before I was moving an hour north.

So in the year since, I've managed to find the perfect job and everything has been working out financially for a few months. Went to the bank, got pre-approved [not for much, but I'm young with slightly below average credit and no co-signer], and now the car shopping begins!

I had three good options yesterday; '95 Subaru Legacy, a '95 Honda Accord wagon, and a '99 Accord sedan. They all were under 200k miles, drove great, loved em. But someone called just before I got there and put a hold on the sedan. Who puts holds on used cars? Without cash in hand, why does someone get to hold it from a phone call? So that person bought it and that was frustrating. The wagon was clean and very nice [I was picturing maroon, icky interior, a bit beat up] but was 190% it's market value and my bank won't finance me that high. They may, but I'd have to get another approval. I can call Monday.

And the Subaru. Oh my, I would have LOVED that Subaru. Always wanted one, it was so nice to drive, I loved it. But it just came in as a trade in when the guy called me about it, they ran a carfax on it while I was on the test drive and it had been totaled in '08 and was on a rebuilt title. My bank won't go for that. So dang.

I'll browse the dealerships today online and see if there's anything else, but it was a very exhausting first day. Buying my truck was so easy. I miss that truck...

Okay, vent/rant over.
Posted via Mobile Device

I soooo hate car shopping. Mostly it's the dance with the sales people I hate. Why does it take less time to have a root canal than negotiate a car deal. Come to think of it they feel about the same. Good luck in your search!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jake and Dai 01-06-2013 10:32 AM

Good luck Ricci. I hate car shopping myself, especially when dealing with dealers.

I bought a previously owned Jeep Wrangler from a dealer about 6 months ago. DH and I went in and basically said "we'll take it"! Just a little negotiating and a test drive and it was still a freakin' 4+ hour ordeal!!!! Ugh!

riccil0ve 01-06-2013 10:39 AM

Yeah, there are some I didn't like. We had talked the wagon down quite a bit, but it was still too high over its market value. Both guys I met in person were great, I'd have no problem doing business with them. The first one even showed me a little hatchback civic manual and gave me my first stick shift lesson in it. It was in my price range and fit my criteria [except the manual tranny] so we gave it a shot. And I did pretty well for my first time, I only killed it twice, haha. If I can get another "lesson" with a stick, I'm sure I'd be fine enough to buy and get used to it, but I don't want to replace a clutch, lol.

ETA: I know it did take a few hours to get my truck, it took 4-5 hours just to look at four cars! Eesh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jake and Dai 01-06-2013 10:45 AM

I actually love my manual transmission. I drove automatics for years and years. Learnt the manual probably when I was 18 and not long after switched to auto. When we test drove the Jeep I made my hubby drive it off the lot to a quiet neighborhood as I was afraid to drive on a busy highway.

I'm sure you'll get it quickly. I've heard Civics last forever so that might be a good choice. And they're pretty economical on gas, unlike my Jeep. :-)

riccil0ve 01-06-2013 10:53 AM

Oh yeah. And it was a mechanically sound car. It had every service it needed done and done at the dealership. I've no doubt it's a great, albeit ugly, lol, little car. I just don't want to be rough on the clutch for a week and have to replace it soon, you know? Sure, the benefit of a cheaper car, but if I have to do the clutch soon after purchase, or heaven forbid get in an accident because I haven't got it down yet, it won't save me any money.

Maybe after my other two accidents fall off my insurance, and I've had a few more lessons, I'll be okay buying one. But I don't think I can risk it now, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 01-09-2013 05:26 PM

The search is over!! My step dad is a transmission mechanic, and his boss is selling his '05 Aveo. Got everything approved from the bank, and now it's just a matter of waiting until Saturday to get it! It's back home, I'm gonna be in town this weekend.

Anyways, new water pump, timing belt and cylinder head. Transmission serviced. It's a 4 door [thank god] with 69k miles. It's either seafoam green or sky blue, I can't tell from the pictures.

I'm so glad everything worked out. I hate car shopping. Haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 01-09-2013 06:35 PM

Glad you found a car & that it was "vetted" by family. Hope you have many carefree miles w/it.

WSArabians 01-09-2013 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd have given you a really good deal on my car...
Under 150,000km, six speed, well cared for. Needs a front end alignemnt. Maybe some headlights.

riccil0ve 01-09-2013 10:51 PM

BAHAHAHA!!! That's cute. Darn shame I already committed to the Aveo. =P
Posted via Mobile Device