The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Get Fit for Riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/get-fit-riding-148996/)

faiza425 01-06-2013 01:57 PM

Get Fit for Riding?

Hi guys! I was wondering what you guys do to stay (or get) fit for riding? Any specific exercises or workouts that you see transferring over to better riding?
I usually ride two or three horses once a week or so but between Christmas vacation and snowstorms, I haven't been to the barn in close to three weeks. I don't want to go back and suddenly have jello legs and be sore after an hour of riding!
Also, I need something I can stick to long-term because I'll continue the workouts between rides.
Thanks! :D
-Faiza

JaphyJaphy 01-06-2013 03:55 PM

YOGA. It provides improved balance, flexibility, circulation and core strength. It's helped me a lot, and I'd recommend it to anyone, despite it's association with hippies and/or the "New Age". Frankly, I can see why they do it. I reckon that Pilates would yield similar results.

I also like it because it can be done indoors, and you still get quite a workout. I don't have any exercise machines, and I'm not terribly inspired to go for a run when it's -30.

lasso 01-09-2013 11:01 PM

equibarre cd

elleng0728 01-10-2013 01:31 PM

I do zumba 2x a week and have started some strength training. Have ordered the equibarre dvd and will see how that is.

Kido 01-13-2013 02:50 PM

I find that if I keep my core strong, I'm definitely a more efficient rider. I love Tae-Bo but I've also now discovered Jillian Michaels's DVD's and abosolutely love it! I've completed 30 Day Shred and am now busy with 6 week, 6 pack. I get good results from it!

LexusK 01-21-2013 10:32 PM

Whole body strength training has drastically improved my riding over the past year, as well as balancing exercises on the ground :)