The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   New mare not eating? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/new-mare-not-eating-148997/)

huntermare2 01-06-2013 12:59 PM

New mare not eating?

I recently brought home my new mare yesterday. She is on a different feed than she was on (Cadence Ultra by Buckeye). She is now on beet pulp, alfalfa cubes, plain oats and she also gets some canola oil. I know it's a drastic switch to her diet, but I have the food portioned out to introduce her. However, she isn't eating.. She'll touch a little bit of it, and then turn up her nose. I'm not sure if it's because she's in a new environment and has possible nerves? Or because she hasn't been turned out with the other horses yet, but still has view of them. Is it possible she just doesn't like her new feed? If anyone has experienced this, please post or comment!

Lins 01-06-2013 01:16 PM

Try feeding without the oil. Some horses don't like oil. Or use more or less water to soak the beet pulp, or maybe she doesn't like the cubes. Just experiment and you'll figure it out :)
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 01-06-2013 01:18 PM

If you know what she was eating, pick up a bag of it and use that as part of her transition. It will be easier on her system and also more likely for her to take to.

PaintHorseMares 01-06-2013 01:21 PM

^^^ Yes...horses like what they know.
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 01-06-2013 06:24 PM

Agree with buying a bag of the food she's used to, change her over slowly and also cutting out the liquid fat.

More importantly, is she eating her hay? If she's not eating forage, it's time to worry and I would buy a bag of timothy pellets to get forage thru her so her digestive system doesn't shut down and she colics.

Forage is the most important thing that she needs - 1.5% to 2% of her body weight daily. Especially if you're covered in snow and there's no grass for her.