The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   plus sized horse blanket? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/plus-sized-horse-blanket-149002/)

blondieandbomayan 01-06-2013 01:44 PM

plus sized horse blanket?

I have a rather large mare. her winter coat isn't the best this winter. southern Louisiana normally doesn't have much "winter" weather so normally her thinner coat wouldn't be a problem. lately though it has been getting in the low 30's at night. if it gets much colder than it is now I think she might need to be blanketed overnight. the blanket I have will fit her lengthwise, but not width wise. Is there any way to get an extension piece? I don't want to tie it or rig it any way in case it comes loose or comes off or I need to get it off in a hurry for some reason

spurstop 01-06-2013 02:26 PM

You probably should just measure her and purchase a new blanket.

SaddleStrings 01-06-2013 02:52 PM

Ditto with with spurstop. Also, you may need to look at different brands of blankets as some are more taylored to different builds of horses.

66Domino 01-06-2013 07:29 PM

When our mare was in foal she needed a blanket. We ran into the same problem because if you go up in size it will not fit correctly in front. If you use leg straps they are out of place too. We did find one with side gussets but i believe we ordered it on line. I'd google, horse blanket side gussett and see what comes up. Hope this helps.

66Domino 01-06-2013 07:55 PM

Just found them! Look for Big Fellas horse blankets on Schneiders.com.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tigo 01-06-2013 10:14 PM

We have a bunch of huge warmbloods come through our barn (my gelding is a thick 18 hands himself) and Weatherbeetas fit all of them like a glove. I honestly love them. Just a suggestion for a brand to maybe look into if you go that route :)

Runninghot88 01-08-2013 07:11 AM

I know sstack.com blankets run a size large if that's any help :)
Posted via Mobile Device

goneriding 01-08-2013 07:24 AM

European cut is a better option too.

walkinthewalk 01-08-2013 09:30 AM

Great suggestions on going to Schneiders Tack and looking at the Weatherbeetas; you might just as well Bite the Bullet and buy a new one:-(

Big ditto on buying a blanket with gussets so your horse has more room for movement.

I am in southern Middle Tennessee and also feeling some of that ugly cold,

For the record, after the record high temps of this week, we might plummet to single digits by next week sometime -- depending how far the Polar Jet stream decides to dip south:shock:

Meaning - order the blanket - lol lol

Be sure to buy a waterproof blanket. Medium weight should be sufficient, unless she's a really hot horse, then buy a light weight.

One of my four wears a light weight and doesn't even need that on the raw/blustery days but Mr. WTW put me on such a guilt trip about "everyone else having a coat", that I broke down and bought the light weight.

The lightweight has come in very handy for another horse that doesn't grow any sort of winter coat and has had some digestive issues lately. The vet told me to keep him blanketed on bad days, so the lightweight turnout has paid for itself for him on the days it's been too warm for his medium weight.

Hope this helps and I hope you've got pipes wrapped at the barn and under the house. Burst pipes are not fun to deal with in the winter:-(

Being from the north originally, I learned water lines don't get dug near as deep south of the Mason-Dixon as they do north of it:-(

Saddlebag 01-08-2013 09:49 AM

A horse will generally grow as much coat as it needs. She will fluff her coat to trap heat coming off her body. A blanket will flatten her coat. This throws her thermostat out of whack.