The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What to buy when preparing to buy 1st horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-buy-when-preparing-buy-1st-149014/)

Cat0912 01-06-2013 04:11 PM

What to buy when preparing to buy 1st horse?

Okay so I am planning to buy my first horse soon and was wondering what I should plan on buying?

kenda 01-06-2013 04:20 PM

Depends. Are you keeping it at home or boarding out? If boarding, what type of board?

If you're doing full board where they take care of everything, I'd say you should be looking for tack appropriate to your discipline, grooming supplies, a first aid kit, halter and lead, blankets if applicable. If you're doing self board or keeping at home you're going to need considerably more stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy 01-06-2013 06:27 PM

Don't buy a saddle or a bit until after you have the horse!

themacpack 01-06-2013 06:38 PM

"plan on buying" now or after you have the horse/long-term? Those would be two very different lists.....

Saddlebag 01-06-2013 06:44 PM

All your grooming tools, maybe a rope halter and a 12' lead. Don't buy a halter/lead set as the lead isn't what you need.

Muppetgirl 01-06-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 1831916)
Don't buy a saddle or a bit until after you have the horse!

Nor buy blankets until you know the correct size.....

Northernstar 01-06-2013 06:58 PM

Hi, and welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of good help here! As already stated, are you boarding your horse, or bringing your horse home? Then you'll get oodles of great advice! Just to mention one thing that helped me tremendously if you're bringing your horse home, is to check out at the library or order on Amazon an amazing book titled, "Horsekeeping On A Small Acreage" by Cherry Hill..... Regardless of your choice, the best of luck, and enjoy :)

Calming Melody 01-06-2013 07:08 PM

If it's at home I would have :
Combs and brushes
Swat
Halters
Lead ropes
Buckets
Water container
Blue koat :never know when accidents will happen
Horse wraps
wormer
Treats
Bot knife
Scarlet oil
Hoof care dressing
Bute (I think I spelled that right)
I can't seem to think of anything else at the moment that I have for my boys ..I know I have forgotten some things lol! Oh a camera for pictures, a vet, and a reliable farrier ...
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 01-06-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calming Melody (Post 1831963)
If it's at home I would have :
Combs and brushes
Swat
Halters
Lead ropes
Buckets
Water container
Blue koat :never know when accidents will happen
Horse wraps
wormer
Treats
Bot knife
Scarlet oil
Hoof care dressing
Bute (I think I spelled that right)
I can't seem to think of anything else at the moment that I have for my boys ..I know I have forgotten some things lol! Oh a camera for pictures, a vet, and a reliable farrier ...
Posted via Mobile Device

Not much on there that I wouldn't buy if the horse was boarded -- as to the de-wormer, not one to stock up on that as we are on the FEC guided de-worming approach so it's something we buy as needed.

Calming Melody 01-06-2013 07:13 PM

I always worm a horse as soon as I get it ..not to stock pile on though, just as precaution
Posted via Mobile Device