The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Does a 1/2 mustang horse tend to be wilder, more unpredictable than a non-mustang? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/does-1-2-mustang-horse-tend-149015/)

Horseshygranny 01-06-2013 04:40 PM

Does a 1/2 mustang horse tend to be wilder, more unpredictable than a non-mustang?

Does a 1/2 mustang horse tend to be wilder, more unpredictable than a non-mustang?
New to this forum, know very little about horses, have ridden trail horses 6 times, and now have a green broke (so I've been told), 6 year old filly around our house as a favor to a neighbor. I will post more about the situation itself in another thread.

riccil0ve 01-06-2013 04:46 PM

Not necessarily. A horse with training is a horse with training, and a three year old that's done nothing but sit in a giant field it's whole life is a horse with no training, be it a mustang brought in or a QH bred and left to be a horse. I don't think an unhandled mustang is automatically going to be more unpredictable than an unhandled QH or Arab or Morgan. It will still depend a lot on the individual horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 01-06-2013 04:47 PM

No, mustang does not make a horse wilder. Has the horse been raised by people? You shold be very careful on a green horse since you have only ridden six times. You should not ride alone, and always wear a helmut.
A green horse and green rider usually ends up with someone hurt. A saying I heard for years and years. There are always exeptions.

SouthernTrails 01-06-2013 05:09 PM

We had a full Mustang that was very lazy

Horseshygranny 01-06-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenson (Post 1831779)
No, mustang does not make a horse wilder. Has the horse been raised by people? You shold be very careful on a green horse since you have only ridden six times. You should not ride alone, and always wear a helmut.
A green horse and green rider usually ends up with someone hurt. A saying I heard for years and years. There are always exeptions.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, she's green so there lies the problem it sounds. I will never ride her. I just posted in the general group my situation with Ruby--whether to allow her to stay here (belongs to a neighbor). She shows no respect for me (naturally) but because I'm over 60 with severe rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis I don't want to even try to work with her. We had 4 well trained Arabian here for awhile and despite my lack of comfort around them, they were respectful. I'm envious of all you folks here having so much experience with horses you can truly enjoy and appreciate these magnificent animals.

flytobecat 01-06-2013 05:19 PM

A lot of how horses behave depends on how much they've been around people and how they've been handle. I have a mustang arab cross that was imprinted at birth, and has been around people all her life. She was taught at early age to respect even small children and has great ground manners. My sister has a 2 year old QH filly that was range raised and didn't get handled until we got her. You really have to put her in her place or she will run over you.

Chessie 01-06-2013 05:26 PM

I have a mustang, and she is both easy-going and lazy, and she's been handled less than a year.

Brenna Lee 01-06-2013 05:29 PM

If anything the mustang will make the horse more intelligent, and it would increase the self preservation drive.

I own a full mustang.