The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Skinny Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/skinny-horse-149016/)

phoenixbabey 01-06-2013 04:55 PM

Skinny Horse

:cry: I have a 60% polish arab stock horse 15.1 hh that is fleebittin grey. Aragon was skinny when we bought him but we fed him on lucern, chaff, stud mix and bio mare which got him fat but heated him up to much. ( On a trail ride ran me out near a highway had to grab the rein and flip him to save us). Any way we had four acres on which he had about 2 or 2.5 and we stop the grain and just gave him two biscuts of lucern a day with barley any grass in the paddock and he stayed chubby.

Two months later we moved and found out the niebors beside us owned the land behind our land on which they kept a whelsh pony and three cows all only wormed only once a year.:twisted: So he had contact with this whelsh mare and started to get loose lose weight we fed him lucern all the time and started him on grain again. Chaff, maxi coat, dairy mix and copra ( coconut feed). but it just went through him so we wormed him with a wormer with moxidection in it twice in two weeks. This worked the supposed parisite seem to disaper and Aragon got chubby again. My Arab and the whelsh pony do not seem to be affected by this parisite. But then the gate to the paddock was left open between the paddocks and he got it again so it all happened again we wormed him with the product twice again and he stoped being loose but would not gain weight so after a while we put him our friends 250 acres of grass so he could eat all day but he has lost weight since hes been there (2 months).

So my question is what can I do we have had his teeth done and they are still not good but he still eats enough my arab is fat and eats half what Aragon does. I was thinking getting the vet out, a new dentisit out and trying diiferent feeds. What do you guys thing?

themacpack 01-06-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixbabey (Post 1831796)
I was thinking getting the vet out, a new dentisit out and trying diiferent feeds. What do you guys thing?

I'd say that is a very good place to start.............and in that order.

phoenixbabey 01-07-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1831877)
I'd say that is a very good place to start.............and in that order.

okay thanzk anyone else

poppy1356 01-07-2013 06:43 PM

Vet then dentist then nutritionist if you are not very familiar with all the feeds out there.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-07-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixbabey (Post 1831796)
:cry: I have a 60% polish arab stock horse 15.1 hh that is fleebittin grey. Aragon was skinny when we bought him but we fed him on lucern, chaff, stud mix and bio mare which got him fat but heated him up to much. ( On a trail ride ran me out near a highway had to grab the rein and flip him to save us). Any way we had four acres on which he had about 2 or 2.5 and we stop the grain and just gave him two biscuts of lucern a day with barley any grass in the paddock and he stayed chubby.

Two months later we moved and found out the niebors beside us owned the land behind our land on which they kept a whelsh pony and three cows all only wormed only once a year.:twisted: So he had contact with this whelsh mare and started to get loose lose weight we fed him lucern all the time and started him on grain again. Chaff, maxi coat, dairy mix and copra ( coconut feed). but it just went through him so we wormed him with a wormer with moxidection in it twice in two weeks. This worked the supposed parisite seem to disaper and Aragon got chubby again. My Arab and the whelsh pony do not seem to be affected by this parisite. But then the gate to the paddock was left open between the paddocks and he got it again so it all happened again we wormed him with the product twice again and he stoped being loose but would not gain weight so after a while we put him our friends 250 acres of grass so he could eat all day but he has lost weight since hes been there (2 months).

So my question is what can I do we have had his teeth done and they are still not good but he still eats enough my arab is fat and eats half what Aragon does. I was thinking getting the vet out, a new dentisit out and trying diiferent feeds. What do you guys thing?

I'd start with the vet. Maybe ask him how he feels about doing a Power Pak de-worming, Panacur PowerPac Merck (Wormers - Paste Wormer - Equine - Benzimidazole Horse Wormers), to get anything that might be resistant to the de-wormer you already used.

If it's ulcers or some kind of virus, teeth & power pak would be my first thoughts on how to fix the problem.

From your feed, I'm guessing you're not in the US, so not sure what all you have available.

phoenixbabey 01-10-2013 07:03 PM

No we are in Australia near syney NSW

themacpack 01-10-2013 09:16 PM

So, has the vet been out yet?

star16 01-27-2013 08:50 AM

If the vet can't find anything wrong with him, than try a splash of corn oil in his grain. Over the winter, my arab mix would get skinny, so that's what I did for her, and it worked. The oil gives them some fat. Just don't do too much too fast or your horse might have some pretty messy manure. Just a warning.