The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   A barrel horse trainers blog! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/barrel-horse-trainers-blog-149049/)

Barrelhorsetrainer 01-06-2013 09:42 PM

A barrel horse trainers blog!

Hi I am going to make this sort of like a ablog for anything about me! Feel free to comment and ask questions!
Posted via Mobile Device

Barrelhorsetrainer 01-07-2013 01:21 AM

Well today was intresting :) was in the slack of a rodeo early this morning ended up 8th in the barrels! Was pretty excited about that! Gave some horsemanship lessons to 3 little girls this afternoon :) And Mellisas owner came out to see her progress!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wanstrom Horses 01-07-2013 02:18 AM

How many barrel horses have you trained? And where are you located if you don't mind me asking.

Barrelhorsetrainer 01-07-2013 02:20 AM

5 :) not really a hundred percent me kinda both me and my mom she starts them and i finish them :) and kinda in the middle of no where in southren alberta
Posted via Mobile Device

Barrelhorsetrainer 01-08-2013 01:38 AM

So went to a fun gymncana today and ran bailey in barrels the alley way is really long and she freaked out a bunch so by the time i got into the arena we had ruined our run we ended up with a 17.458 :( not our best but we still ended up 7th.
Posted via Mobile Device

Army wife 01-08-2013 06:53 PM

Gymkhana***
So, can you give advice on how to train barrel horses? Since your mom puts the foundation, and you finish them off? What do you think is more important, the pocket, or how you leave the barrel? As far as training goes.

Barrelhorsetrainer 01-09-2013 02:21 AM

I know how to train them i trained Bailey but i dont start other peoples horses and i beleive the pocket iis most important
Posted via Mobile Device

Army wife 01-09-2013 02:41 AM

Interesting, i used to think the same thing. But that's actually not true, when working with young horses I'm told. How you come out of a barrel determines a lot of how your next barrel goes. As soon as you leave that barrel, your already setting up for the next. Now, you can start out with a big pocket, and shrink it down as your horse becomes more and more seasoned. But it's extremely important that you come out clean, so you can enter the next barrel clean. Not sure if that makes any sense.
Posted via Mobile Device

Runninghot88 01-10-2013 08:36 PM

Question: How would running down the alley ruin your time, when the timer is set before the barrels and after the alley?
Army Wife: I agree with you the approach and coming out of the pocket is the most important to me anyways. If you go into close you will come out wide.

Muppetgirl 01-10-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runninghot88 (Post 1838791)
Question: How would running down the alley ruin your time, when the timer is set before the barrels and after the alley?
Army Wife: I agree with you the approach and coming out of the pocket is the most important to me anyways. If you go into close you will come out wide.

This OP has been banned.