The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Pregnant? How long can I ride?? (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/pregnant-how-long-can-i-ride-149082/)

Wanstrom Horses 01-07-2013 01:02 AM

Pregnant? How long can I ride??

Most of you have seen my thread on bridle horses. I make a living training and cowboying. I may know some about bridle horses, but I know very little about parenting, lol. Im pregnant, due in April. When should I give up the job for my and my baby's safety?? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!! :)

Muppetgirl 01-07-2013 01:06 AM

Hmmmm well I had a friend ride down in the NRHA Futurity this October, she is due early February!
It depends on your comfort level really. I've heard that the babies like the motion of riding.....ever wonder why babies wake you up in the middle of the night kicking you in the ribs....it's because youre still and they wake up! But the constant motion of walking or riding seems to lull them to sleep in the womb:-)

If you start feeling unsettled or off balance in the saddle it might be time to take a break until baby arrives:-)

Wanstrom Horses 01-07-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1832566)
Hmmmm well I had a friend ride down in the NRHA Futurity this October, she is due early February!
It depends on your comfort level really. I've heard that the babies like the motion of riding.....ever wonder why babies wake you up in the middle of the night kicking you in the ribs....it's because youre still and they wake up! But the constant motion of walking or riding seems to lull them to sleep in the womb:-)

If you start feeling unsettled or off balance in the saddle it might be time to take a break until baby arrives:-)

Thanks! Yeah I've figured out the whole drilling me in the ribs in the middle of the night scenario, lol. But I've always kinda felt off balance since I found out, maybe it's just being worried about safety now, I used to never care when I was just thinking for myself.

Muppetgirl 01-07-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses (Post 1832580)
Thanks! Yeah I've figured out the whole drilling me in the ribs in the middle of the night scenario, lol. But I've always kinda felt off balance since I found out, maybe it's just being worried about safety now, I used to never care when I was just thinking for myself.

Yup! It's mind over matter for sure! It's natural to feel 'not quite right'.....I used to not like putting the seatbelt on (I did though!) because I kept thinking that if I had a car accident the seat belt would hurt the baby! LOL!:lol:

Wanstrom Horses 01-07-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1832584)
Yup! It's mind over matter for sure! It's natural to feel 'not quite right'.....I used to not like putting the seatbelt on (I did though!) because I kept thinking that if I had a car accident the seat belt would hurt the baby! LOL!:lol:

Haha I know, same here. And then I sit in the car and hold it away from my belly lol!

themacpack 01-07-2013 08:06 AM

It's really something to discuss with your physician and then decide for yourself based on your personal comfort level. There are some who give it up right from the get go and some that are in the saddle to the bitter end.

nikelodeon79 01-07-2013 11:15 AM

My doctor told me I could ride as long as I was 100% sure I wasn't going to fall off.

Since nothing is a guarantee with horses, I didn't ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wanstrom Horses 01-07-2013 11:26 AM

Yeah, I'm trying to just stick with my really really gentle horses. But when I quit riding that cuts our income in half. Doctor said I could ride, but my balance is kind of off, so I'm still debating on when i should quit. I have a friend that was cowboying until she was 8 months along. It's hard when riding is our source of income.

Fulford15 01-07-2013 12:07 PM

My mom rode with me till she was 8 months pregnant. Just depends on how comfortable you are I supose!

OutOfTheLoop 01-07-2013 12:10 PM

I rode all through my pregnancy. I didn't do any cowboying, but I would hop on bareback for a liesurly stroll around the block. I would talk to your doctor first, then make a decision.
Posted via Mobile Device