The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Step 8 Feed - Albertans? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/step-8-feed-albertans-149163/)

Muppetgirl 01-07-2013 05:04 PM

Step 8 Feed - Albertans?

Hey, does any of the Albertans on the forum use this feed? Pros or cons? Thanks:-)
Mr.Pet's

~*~anebel~*~ 01-07-2013 05:09 PM

Anyone in western Canada, and the northwest US should take a good look at Hoffmans. It's far more complete than step 8.
Posted via Mobile Device

paintedpastures 01-07-2013 05:16 PM

never heard of it till now:-) but went to check the manufacturer's website. they give flowery description of feeds but no feed analysis or feeding guidelines of the product like many other feed manufacturer do:-(. Makes it hard to compare products or know what you are getting...that in itself is a turnoff

Stillstandin 01-07-2013 05:23 PM

I haven't fed it but here is the nutrirional analysis on it.
http://cdn-l.viterra.com/static/feed...uide-Step8.pdf
I personally prefer a Masterfeeds product that my horses do very well on.

Muppetgirl 01-07-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1833468)
Anyone in western Canada, and the northwest US should take a good look at Hoffmans. It's far more complete than step 8.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha I use Hoffmans now, someone was raving about step 8 and was wondering if it was 'all that'.....

Jenni101 01-07-2013 05:57 PM

I used Step 8 on my skinny 2 year old and it worked good. I like my Masterfeed though.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-07-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1833512)
Haha I use Hoffmans now, someone was raving about step 8 and was wondering if it was 'all that'.....

Imo Hoffmans is a superior product. Haven't had a single colic, ulcers, founder etc with it. Ration or minerals.
Posted via Mobile Device

LynnF 01-07-2013 06:37 PM

Step 8 is a good way to get some fat on a skinny horse but it is not a complete ration like many others. If you are looking for a filler or way to put on some quick weight it is great but other than that I would look into something else.

waresbear 01-07-2013 06:49 PM

I am in western Canada & there is no Hoffmanns here, there is the Step feeds, but I prefer Otters high fibre or Lifeline feeds. The higher fibre Step feed looked like cheap dog food & the horses didn't really care for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 01-07-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1833564)
Imo Hoffmans is a superior product. Haven't had a single colic, ulcers, founder etc with it. Ration or minerals.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I give the ration to my horse, I'm moving barns in a month as a spot in a barn closer to me will be opening up and they feed Step 8 (and rave about it) so I might just continue with the Hoffmans and allow them to feed a small amount of step 8 to my guy as he will be in heavier work now and it will not look like I'm shunning their preferred ration......my horse could use a little fat now as he will also have more turn out.....so might work both ways:lol:

Ps. My horse looks awesome on Hoffmans....