The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would you go to a clinic if.... (

Klassic Superstar 01-07-2013 07:33 PM

Would you go to a clinic if....
I had gotten in conact with a great event trainer who was going to be in town for a week and I emailed her to sign up for two jump lessons, at a very resonable rate. I felt it would be a great learning oppurtunity for both Oliver and I. She just got back to me telling me she was going to teach a a gals barn....only her arena isnt covered (not the end of the world by any means) but her arena is so small, and she can only set up a couple jumps to manuver correctly (and safely) that she put 5-8 more jumps right outside of the arena where its slick and soft....Now if Oliver was more experianced and had more outings onder his belt that would be one thing....but for a jumping lesson at a new barn with no primeter fence or solid footing I feel very un eaasy. Its not that I wont know what to do with the money if I dont will go to my dressage saddle I am buying.

So Im wondering what you would do...
young horse, new place, no fencing, not the best/safest footing....I am leaning on passing unless she is going to be teaching at different places throughout the week and might see about changing my ride dates.

Should I go with my gut feeling?
I can jump at home in our fenced in arena like I have been...

Horsequeen08 01-07-2013 07:45 PM

It is my belief that you should always, ALWAYS go with your gut feeling. There is a reason that no one can ever fully explain why we get these feelings.

Honestly, I wouldn't go. Not unless you can get what you need out of it at another barn later in the week. But there is a huge risk of injuring both you and/or your horse or risking him losing his confidence over fencing by slipping. You have to weigh the risk over the gain. Sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Of course this is just my opinion. But that's my two cents' worth. I wouldn't go under those conditions.

Good luck and let me know what you decide!

AlexS 01-07-2013 07:48 PM

I am big believer in listening to gut feelings too, but I think in this situation you are just sounding a little nervous.

Honestly I'd email the trainer, let her know your concerns, see what she says. I am sure they will have provisions in place so your horse cannot just get out loose onto a road or anything.

churumbeque 01-07-2013 07:48 PM

why not go for 1 lesson and just stay in the arena unless you feel better about it when you see how it is going.

jillybean19 01-07-2013 07:57 PM


Originally Posted by Horsequeen08 (Post 1833718)
It is my belief that you should always, ALWAYS go with your gut feeling. There is a reason that no one can ever fully explain why we get these feelings.

Psych nerd moment:

Our brains have stored much more than we realize. Either it's decided that certain "files" of information aren't important enough, or there just aren't the connections made, so we can't consciously access this information. Hence, sometimes we get a "gut" feeling but can't explain why. It's usually a good idea to go with your gut for that reason.

Of course, you could also take the religious approach to this:

The spirit of discernment has moved you ;)

And finally, as someone else suggested, it may just ge nerves, but sometimes that's a good reason, particularly with horses, because your nerves could make an ok situation into a risky one as the horse(s) picks up your vibe.

Either way, to me it doesn't sound like it's worth taking the risk. There will be other opportunities (I'd start with calling the trainer and explaining how you feel and asking what other opportunities there may be), or just go and stay in the arena and explain why you need to do so (I don't trust that my horse and I can do this outside the arena). But don't risk something you don't feel comfortable about, especially when you're trying to learn and have a good experience.

MyBoyPuck 01-07-2013 08:04 PM

Yep, always trust your gut. I'd bow out on the questionable footing no matter who was teaching it.

Klassic Superstar 01-07-2013 08:05 PM

Thanks guys, I tlked to both my mom and trainer about it, they both 100% agree that its take it or leave it type of thing and not to feel bad at all if I decide to not do it... and I really wont.

I did email the clinican and am waiting to hear back. I gave her my concerns and and asked if she was planning on teaching anywhere else during the week...even if I could get her to come out to my barn that would be great..

If she responds saying she unfornantly cant teach anywhere else I think I will just invest on watching some lessons from the sidelines.

My gut really says, not worth it if he where to get to exubraint about the fences or if that week it should be bad weather....I mean he slips on the lawn walking to and from the arena just inhand at a slow walk! I cant imagine trot or cantering up to a small jump with the weather we HAVE been having.

Would rather pass on a vet bill, a scare, and having to go back and face an issue that could have been all together avoided...

Thanks for letting me get my thoughts out there!

LadyDreamer 01-07-2013 08:20 PM

Even if you don't take a horse, definitely go! Who knows what you will learn from the others.
Posted via Mobile Device

Klassic Superstar 01-07-2013 08:23 PM

For sure!!! Now that I have my own car I can for sure do that too! I love watching lessons, always insipres me one way or another!

kitten_Val 01-07-2013 08:28 PM

"not the best/safest footing..." would be a no-no for me. The last thing you want is a bad fall together or horse hurting a leg. I agree with other posters: if you don't feel like doing it do NOT do it. There will be other opportunity for you later on!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome