The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   A look at Kitty? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/look-kitty-149188/)

hannah3marlette 01-07-2013 08:45 PM

A look at Kitty?

So yesterday I got a new mare, Kitty. She's 8yo and a total sweet heart. She definatley needs to get in shape and get some muscle on her. I also need to teach her to neck rein so if you have any tips for doing that I would really appreciate it. Excuse the crappy pictures, by the time I got done riding it had gotten really dark and the saddle is all out of place as well.... tomorrow I will try and get some better pictures but what do you think of her? Also any tips on how to get her to stand still when I'm mounting? Oh and I'm planning on using her to barrel race

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#...E-BC56EBA260C3

amberly 01-07-2013 09:23 PM

Well first off, what a beautiful horse you have!
Second - I have the same problem: holding still while mounting. I have not tried it yet, but I will soon try to grab his mane and rein in one hand while I mount. I am also going to try being more polite when I mount - instead of just rushing up.
third - I would love to help with neck reining, but my horse was already taught how to do it - so I don't think I'd be much help for teaching that.
fourth - I am also interesting in Barrel Racing! I haven't started yet, but this April there is a barrel racing club that I will join and just race for fun.
One of my horses - Brisco - was actually training to be a barrel horse, but he was WAY too lazy and I think that's why he never got to be a racer. haha!

RunSlideStop 01-07-2013 09:27 PM

She looks decent. Hard to tell really. Muscle and properly set up shots will help.

For standing still: Every time she moves when you are trying to get on, step off her and back her up for a good 10ft briskly. Rinse and repeat. Soon she will realize that standing still is much easier than being backed up to Timbuktu.

Also please check your saddle fit and girth. Could be she is compensating for poor fit and balance, especially since she has no topline to speak of.
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 01-07-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunSlideStop (Post 1833919)
For standing still: Every time she moves when you are trying to get on, step off her and back her up for a good 10ft briskly. Rinse and repeat. Soon she will realize that standing still is much easier than being backed up to Timbuktu.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is my opinion - not meaning to like, tell you your wrong, because it might work..
but on my opinion on this, I would have to disagree with that. I have a horse that backs up when I mount, so shouldn't I move him forward. It's just that to me it would seem like that is teaching the horse to back up when he mounts. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like it would work.
I do have a horse that goes forward though, so then would I back him up when he moves foreward?
Just wondering..

RunSlideStop 01-07-2013 09:43 PM

I would say my general rule when a horse moves and I haven't asked it to, is to make it move a lot more than it wanted to. Get the feet moving in any direction; backing is just usually the easiest. If a horse is backing, side-stepping, rearing, etc, then the horse's attention needs to be moved and the rear end disengaged by tight circles until the butt moves over, or what have you.

Of course not every situation is the same, even with the same horse. The point is to make the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy, and always make sure the focus is on what the rider wants it to be on.

Also, tack fit is a huge one. If a saddle is ill-fitting, a horse will not be happy. Likewise, a rider trying to heave themselves up from the ground when horse/rider/both are unbalanced can lead to struggles. Evaluating the individual situation is the best option IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

ETA: Also, it shouldn't be teaching the horse to back up as you would only be doing this IF they moved, and ideally doing it right away so the horse makes the connection.

amberly 01-07-2013 09:49 PM

oh ok, that makes more sense. thank you!

Foxhunter 01-07-2013 11:58 PM

I would say that the saddle is way to far back, needs to be placed forward so that the pommel is by the withers and not 6" back. Also, it is very much to the side in one picture so would question the fit.

LeahKathleen 01-08-2013 12:04 AM

She looks a little downhill to me, but that is very possibly due to the saddle not fitting properly.

Please check your saddle fit! The way your skirt is lifting up off of her back like that is indicating that your saddle doesn't fit your horse, and that can definitely cause a horse to fidget when you're mounting.

LeahKathleen 01-08-2013 12:08 AM

I do think she very pretty though! :)

Elana 01-08-2013 08:11 AM

This horse looks to have a steep shoulder, long back and be built down hill. Looks like adequate bone. Hard to tell much else from the photos.