The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Tried out a potential new horse today! (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/tried-out-potential-new-horse-today-149209/)

BurningAmber520 01-08-2013 12:25 AM

Tried out a potential new horse today!

So I tried out a horse today, she is a 7 year old Clydesdale mare.

Positives:
-She's sweet as heck
-She's well built, and her back is not nearly as long as it looked in some photos, she's pretty well put together
-She can walk/trot/canter under saddle
-She has extensive trail miles from her previous owner
-She tries very hard to figure out is what being asked of her
-I Never felt nervous around her or on her, even though she's HUGE
-She's great for the farrier
-She is a good loader
-She is ridden VERY sporadically, like once a month, by people who don't really know what they are doing, and she was still very well behaved.

Negatives:
-She's a green bean, greener then I had originally planned on getting, greener then I was expecting.
-Her owner is greener then grass
-She has picked up some bad habits
-She doesn't like getting baths

Now I don't mind a horse that's a little green, people seem to think that it was ambers greenness that made me scared of her, but it wasn't that AT ALL, I love training babies, there was way more to my issues with Amber then her being a little green. I want a horse that I feel comfortable on, plain and simple. My trainer is going to go see her and ride her later in the week. So I will update more then!

Mochachino 01-08-2013 12:40 AM

What's not to love about that!!??!! She is adorable...but I'm sure your trainer will help you make the right decision for you....hard to look past the cuteness sometimes.

DimSum 01-08-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochachino (Post 1834140)
What's not to love about that!!??!! She is adorable...but I'm sure your trainer will help you make the right decision for you....hard to look past the cuteness sometimes.

Oh my yes! She is a cutie but let your trainer guide you :-)

Endiku 01-08-2013 11:29 AM

Well she definitely rides like a green horse who has had a green rider, but that doesn't necessarily make her bad. If she has a superb personality and your trainer can help you out with her, I wouldn't see why she wouldnt make a great horse. She's very pretty!

Cacowgirl 01-08-2013 11:46 AM

I really liked her movement-strides out nice,doesn't seem lazy. I think you look good on her-no head-tossing, good stops-hope your trainer likes her.

CowboysDream 01-09-2013 09:16 PM

She is pretty but Im not 100% sure. Did you feel safe on Amber when you bought her or did you just buy a horse you were scared of.

Can she do everything you want of her? I see you jumped Amber a decent amount and I thought I read somewhere you felt unsafe on her because she was clumsy and tripped. Are you happy if this horse cannot jump or is a bit clumsy?

If you are 100% on this horse then that is great and I hope you two make a great pair. I agree with everyone else, listen to your trainer, she will know :)

BurningAmber520 01-11-2013 07:22 PM

Well I've decided against the clyde. she really is too green for what I want. No matter how pretty she is! You can't ride good looks! Hehe

Tried out another horse today! Liked him a lot! He's a 7 year old, 16.1 hand Quarter horse. He's sweet and willing and stocky and well built! The lady who owns the farm where he is is a wonderful dressage trainer and a USDF silver medalist, she complemented me more then once on my riding, said I'm well balanced and soft and ride light, which made me feel AWESOME!!

Here's a quick video of my cantering him today! Yes, actually cantering and not nervous at all

BurningAmber520 01-11-2013 08:04 PM

Looking at this guy tomorrow. 16.2 hand, 14 year old draft cross
jumps 3'+, hunter paces, has auto swaps, and has even been used for beginner walk/trot lessons. His name is WAFFLES!! Hehe

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0bbb7ca.jpg

franknbeans 01-12-2013 06:34 AM

I like the way you look on the gray-just know he will get lighter. Just some food for thought on horses who were used for "beginners"......when you try him make sure to really ask him for something he may not be comfortable with (maybe lateral movement?) that a beginner would not ask, and see how he reacts. I only say this becasue I bought one who was used for total beginner on the trail. That was/is great-I can basically put a monkey on him and he will walk a trial....but, when you ask him to actually DO something, he can get a bit testy. Mine is not bad, but some are. Just be watching for it.

BurningAmber520 01-12-2013 02:24 PM

Well horse shopping today was a bust! They showed me 3 horses (I only like one, Waffles) there was no where to ride except a snowy, slippery arena. They don't allow trials or vet checks before purchase and were really pushing me to buy him today and the guy didn't seem happy when I said I couldnt buy anything without my trainer trying it first. I didnt get a great vibe from the place. And even though the horse seemed nice and reminded me a lot of my old horse Liberty, I have to say no to him!
Posted via Mobile Device