The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   53 year old mule has finally left us (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/53-year-old-mule-has-finally-149219/)

HorseCrazyTeen 01-08-2013 02:26 AM

53 year old mule has finally left us

3 Attachment(s)
The very old mule named Homer that my BO owned just passed away last Saturday. He just barely made it to 53 years of age.

My BO came home and she found him lying on the ground, and observed that he had been down for a long time. She got her neighbor over to help her get him up, and since he couldn't walk they put him up in a sling. Then she did everything she could for him. She gave him drugs and got him to eat some bran mash, and put heat lamps onto him for warmth. He was wet from lying in the mud. She also warmed up a bunch of towels in the dryer to heat up and changed them every hour. The next morning Homer could walk and she got him to eat a little. He just hung around the barn for awhile, but then he suddenly flopped over and finally died. Very sad. :cry:

He had a good, very long life though, and he spent his last years taking it easy. His favorite pal was a giant Thoroughbred, that also has recently died, unfortunately... He would go hide behind the big guy when he knew we were trying to catch him. He always liked trying to follow me and my mare around while I was riding, and was a great road block. Very good at finding the most in-the-way spot imaginable. He wouldn't budge either, not even for cars! He was the barn pet and it will be strange there without him...

Here are a couple pictures of the old man.

Attachment 124763

Him in his "winter coat".

Attachment 124764

Here he is with his last little rider, our friends baby.

Attachment 124765

Barrelhorsetrainer 01-08-2013 02:28 AM

Thats so sad, he had a long and wonderfull life though :)
Posted via Mobile Device

alexis rose 01-08-2013 02:32 AM

Rest in peace Homer. :-(

QOS 01-08-2013 03:05 AM

Poor old fellow. RIP

BarrelWannabe 01-08-2013 03:08 AM

Beautiful old man. Rest in peace, sweetheart.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 01-08-2013 01:33 PM

He had a long life..cared for very much. Sure looked like a sweet fellow. RIP Homer.

GlassPlatypus 01-08-2013 01:57 PM

Love that face! He looks so sweet.

Rest peacefully Homer.

Nakiska 01-08-2013 04:29 PM

FIFTY-THREE!!! WOW!!! Bless you Homer!

My mare will be officially 25 on February 26th...hard to believe...I worry about how soon her last day may come...not that she's close..but, one never knows. Homer making it to 53 gives me much hope for my Nakiska. :)

Rest in peace Homer, I can tell by seeing your sweet face, you blessed many lives in your 53 years.

Toni and Nakiska

WalnutPixie 01-08-2013 04:51 PM

WOW! Fifty-three!

That's truly amazing. His owner must have been doing an incredible job to keep him in good health for so long. It warms my heart to hear about the oldies and their cherished golden years. It sounds like he really got to know just how much his people loved him and were willing to do for him in his final moments. I imagine that it would have been a very good feeling to end on.

Endiku 01-08-2013 06:41 PM

RIP Homer!

53 is remarkable. We had a 50 year old QH mare (not registered so technically not completely provable unfortunately. His old owners never updated her registry as a 20 year old and after 20 a horse is considered to be dead unless picture updated yearly) who passed this past year as well. Its amazing how hardy some of them are!