The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Dissertation on Suffolk Punch's (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/dissertation-suffolk-punchs-149247/)

alic3 01-08-2013 12:39 PM

Dissertation on Suffolk Punch's

I'm writing my dissertation and chosen the top of the Suffolk Punch, I will be looking into many aspects of them. I was wondering if any could send me any useful information or breeders or anything??

much help needed many thanks
xx

Captain Evil 01-08-2013 02:52 PM

There is a farm near us which uses Suffolks as their power. It is called Horsepower Farm, and is located in Penobscot, Maine. Mr. Paul Birdsall owns the farm and is quite knowledgable. Perhaps he could answer some questions for you.

Clava 01-08-2013 02:59 PM

Wow a really rare breed in the UK now and I think on the endangered list, sounds like an interesting topic.:-)

MainelyDraft 01-08-2013 06:22 PM

Also look up Jason Rutledge on Facebook, he has a very nice stallion and a few mares and uses his Suffolks in his logging operation and to run his sustainable farm. He lives in VA... I've chatted with him a few times, he's a nice guy. Been thinking about buying a team of fillies from him :-)

old97fan 01-10-2013 07:37 PM

Mainelydraft is spot on check out Jason Rutledge, but it might be easier to initially talk to him - the Suffolk Punch
Some other names to track would be Rodney Read, Doc Hammill, John Hammond etc.

If you do a search you will find a lot of farms have gotten out of the business in the last couple of years partly because of the economy and partly for other reasons. One of the big ones the Bar B in Emigrant Montana is completely out of it so if that pops up in your search then keep looking. Suffolks are a very special breed, very cooperative, hardy, and seem to be a little easy keeper than some of the other breeds. Also know, that there is a big difference in what is happening in their homeland (England) as far as breeding etc than the general approach here and in Canada.

QtrBel 01-12-2013 08:53 AM

Rodney and Margaret Read. They're in Tx Ditto Jason Rutledge.

old97fan 01-12-2013 08:26 PM

I meant to say look up the Suffolk Punch Draft Horses on Facebook. Jason, Rodney and doc are there a lot.

alic3 03-06-2013 09:47 AM

Thanks alot :)

nvr2many 03-06-2013 09:49 AM

Don't know much about them but my farrier has one and keeps it out here on the ranch in the summers. Didn't realize they were endangered. I think it was given to him.

Golden Horse 03-06-2013 09:50 AM

I would contact these guys as well Welcome to the Suffolk Punch Trust | The Suffolk Punch Trust good topic, love the Suffolk Punch.