The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   No kneeroll jumpers? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/no-kneeroll-jumpers-149323/)

MissColors 01-08-2013 10:24 PM

No kneeroll jumpers?

How ya doin today?? I'm well.
My bestie RubieLee gave me this sweet Bona Allen gaited horse saddle. Well my horse isn't gaited, which is fine because the saddle still fits my horse and doesn't sit weird on him. The thing is it also doesn't have knee rolls and my horse goal for the year is to learn to jump English. Sounds crazy but I can jump western just havent english. (I think its just cause I'm chicken.)

So does anyone out there jump with out knee rolls? Is it better for your leg strenght and does it make jumping easier when I do get a saddle that is equiped so? Another thing is should I just use the saddle for trail and schooling and save up to get an English saddle with knee rolls???
Help?

Any advice would be appreciated.

freia 01-09-2013 11:03 AM

I've always jumped without knee rolls, but I've never jumped really high.

NBEventer 01-09-2013 11:47 AM

The saddle for our small pony doesn't have knee rolls. A lot of our kids learn to jump on him in that saddle. No one has any problems. The highest anyone has jumped with the pony is 2'9.

My old saddle for hunters had a tiny knee roll. I personally like calf and knee blocks on my saddles but I ride jumpers and cross country.

However consider that there are a lot of people out there who jump bareback. Knee rolls don't make much of a difference until you want to do bigger stuff and tighter turns. Even then though they are not really that important. I find them to be a personal preference kind of thing.

Luvs2jump 01-11-2013 06:34 PM

I use my trainer's/Barn Owner's older close contact County that has no knee rolls and I've found it puts my leg in a good position when it comes to jumping, I really love the saddle and wish she'd sell it to me. I've ridden and jump in saddles with knee rolls and think they're more of a hinderance but that's just me. Go for it and see what happens as long as it fits both you and your horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 01-11-2013 06:44 PM

In the UK a lot of working hunter pony riders will jump in show saddles which have no knee rolls and often they are jumping 3ft6 courses. like this:
http://www.scarsdalevets.com/dynamic_pictures/pip.jpg

I'd say for a total beginer you need to get yourself a better saddle for the job as it will make it easier for you to sort your technique, balance and feel.

For an experianced rider no knee rolls is not the end of the world.

MissColors 01-12-2013 02:01 AM

Thanks thanks thanks! :) I ride pretty well western. Just am new at English. Funny thing is I actually do jump 1.5-2(almost) in my western saddle. Hahahaha. I'll learn eventually. I hope to get a wintec.
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 01-12-2013 03:07 PM

Back in the day none of the close contact saddles had knee rolls! We had to learn to use our legs and balance. ;) there are still some old school people who prefer their plain flap Prix de Nations and such (popular saddle way back when) but I have to admit, it's not hard for me to get used to my couch of a saddle.

If you're looking for a wintec I'm seeking a brand new one for cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

MissColors 01-12-2013 04:43 PM

Selling one?
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 01-12-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissColors (Post 1841231)
Selling one?
Posted via Mobile Device

Oops, yes. Selling one! Darn autocorrect.
Posted via Mobile Device

MissColors 01-13-2013 08:59 AM

Is it posted in classifieds? Could you link me to it?
Posted via Mobile Device