The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Guessing Game! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/guessing-game-149329/)

Nokotaheaven 01-09-2013 12:09 AM

Guessing Game!

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so I was looking up a certain colour gene, when I came across one cool looking beauty! I thought it would be fun to do a mini guessing game with him. Now, so u know, I only know ONE term for the colour, if there is more then I don't likely know it.. This should be fairly easy for the colour experts too :p
Attachment 124859
Attachment 124860

Peppy Barrel Racing 01-09-2013 01:04 AM

Black + silver maybe :D

Nokotaheaven 01-09-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing (Post 1835895)
Black + silver maybe :D

Haha nope.
ONE hint, it's probably the LAST thing you'd expect

Peppy Barrel Racing 01-09-2013 01:20 AM

Ok im gonna guess one more time flaxen sooty chestnut :D

Chiilaa 01-09-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 1835914)
Haha nope.
ONE hint, it's probably the LAST thing you'd expect

That's Sir Royal Excalibur, who is a silver dapple Gypsy stallion, silver dapple being another term for silver + black. The listing of him as a "chocolate palomino" is due to the lack of education of his owners, not anything to do with his genetic colour. He has sired foals that are homozygous for black, which proves he cannot possibly be red based himself.

Nokotaheaven 01-09-2013 01:25 AM

Ah ok. See, I was wrong. Sorry...
And yeah, Chillaa, you're right. Looking now I actually don't see how I actually missed that, besides that in these pics in a couple areas there seems to be a reddish tone. If you don't mind me asking, how do you know it's one? Because i know palominos can be quite dark

themacpack 01-09-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1835939)
That's Sir Royal Excalibur, who is a silver dapple Gypsy stallion, silver dapple being another term for silver + black. The listing of him as a "chocolate palomino" is due to the lack of education of his owners, not anything to do with his genetic colour. He has sired foals that are homozygous for black, which proves he cannot possibly be red based himself.

There you go again trying to muddy the waters with facts and such..:lol:

Peppy Barrel Racing 01-09-2013 01:27 AM

Hurray I was right the first time!!!!

Chiilaa 01-09-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 1835952)
Ah ok. See, I was wrong. Sorry...
And yeah, Chillaa, you're right. Looking now I actually don't see how I actually missed that, besides that in these pics in a couple areas there seems to be a reddish tone. If you don't mind me asking, how do you know it's one? Because i know palominos can be quite dark

Because of his produce. A palomino horse is carrying two red alleles, so they are "ee". He has produced offspring that are homozygous black - "EE". Since if he were palomino he could only pass on "e", he has to be black based.

Nokotaheaven 01-09-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing (Post 1835956)
Hurray I was right the first time!!!!

Haha yeah, sorry xD