The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Question about those dapples! :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/question-about-those-dapples-149353/)

Cowgirl1238 01-09-2013 06:39 AM

Question about those dapples! :)

Okay I'm just curious about something. I knew this one horse for 8 years, and he was 8 when we first met. He was an odd brown color, not bay, not anything. Just brown. Anyway, through the years, he eventually made his way to become a beautiful dapple gray. But, he was supposed to be some mix of mostly Quarter Horse with some Arabian, and I've been told Andalusians and Lippizzaners are the only ones who change like that, (born black/brown and fade to white or gray). Plus I would think, he was already 8 years old, he should have had his color, but I've been wrong before! :)

Chiilaa 01-09-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl1238 (Post 1836173)
Okay I'm just curious about something. I knew this one horse for 8 years, and he was 8 when we first met. He was an odd brown color, not bay, not anything. Just brown. Anyway, through the years, he eventually made his way to become a beautiful dapple gray. But, he was supposed to be some mix of mostly Quarter Horse with some Arabian, and I've been told Andalusians and Lippizzaners are the only ones who change like that, (born black/brown and fade to white or gray). Plus I would think, he was already 8 years old, he should have had his color, but I've been wrong before! :)

Any breed that has grey will do it. The difference is that Lippizaners are all black under the grey coats (mostly anyway) and the foal coats show what they are under it. Grey is like a blanket - the horse is a "real" colour, but the grey eventually just covers it up.

Cowgirl1238 01-09-2013 06:49 AM

Thanks for posting. :) His skin was black except for a few markings of course. But of course I wasn't his owner, but from what I knew, none of his family/friends were gray, he was the only one. Unless they had gotten rid of the previous horse who gave him that gene. :) Thank you! :)

waresbear 01-09-2013 06:49 AM

Pretty much like my hair then?
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 01-09-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl1238 (Post 1836177)
Thanks for posting. :) His skin was black except for a few markings of course. But of course I wasn't his owner, but from what I knew, none of his family/friends were gray, he was the only one. Unless they had gotten rid of the previous horse who gave him that gene. :) Thank you! :)

All grays must have at least one gray parent. It's a dominant gene, so if they have it, they will show it.

Chiilaa 01-09-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1836178)
Pretty much like my hair then?
Posted via Mobile Device

Grey hairs are genetic in humans too Wares. You get them from your kids :-P