The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Polish Arab and Arab? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/polish-arab-arab-149369/)

Muppetgirl 01-09-2013 10:23 AM

Polish Arab and Arab?

Not being an Arab expert, can some please tell me the difference between a Polish Arab and an Arab......origins, conformation differences anything good or different between the two? Thanks!

SEAmom 01-09-2013 10:26 AM

Polish arab is just the "type" of arab. It more or less comes down mainly to breeding origins. Spanish Arab, Egyptian Arab, Crabbet, etc.

I'd give a better explanation, but it's not easy to do from my phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Freemare 01-09-2013 10:30 AM

Take a look at Arabian horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it will tell you everything you need to know about the breeding of arabs.

faye 01-09-2013 10:32 AM

they are all Arabs and come from the same historical origins the only diffenece is the blood lines used, so the polish arabs tend to have bred along the hardier, shorter lines better for all round work but slightly less pretty (form over function).
Egyptian arabs tend to be bred lighter, taller and prettier.

Speed Racer 01-09-2013 10:40 AM

Polish Arabs are a type of Arabian. Every type is still an Arabian, but each were bred for characteristics that a particular State stud or breeder was trying to bring out.

For example, Polish Arabians were originally bred for stamina, good bone, and performance abilities. The dished heads were thrown by the wayside, since they weren't important to what the Polish Stud was trying to accomplish. Polish Arabs tend to have straighter profiles, but there's no mistaking that they're Arabians.

The differences between the types of Arabians shouldn't be as blatant as they're starting to be. If you have to look at a horse more than once to figure out it's supposed to be a purebred Arabian, something's wrong.

Arabians were originally compact, short coupled little horses with excellent bone structures. They were hardy animals, and rarely needed shoes or major medical attention because they tended to stay healthy. With the advent of today's 'super model' Arabians all of that is changing, and not for the better in my opinion.

There never used to be breedings just for halter horses. You bred for the best all around horse possible.

Free, I'd never consider Wikipedia the 'go to' expert on anything, and especially not for breeding live animals.

goneriding 01-09-2013 10:41 AM

Welcome to Arabian Horses.org - Education

Muppetgirl 01-09-2013 11:01 AM

Ok thanks.....one other question here, and this might be an interesting one....I've heard that Arabs have really tough feet....which would make sense I guess due to origin and purpose, so they feet have 'evolved' or they have been bred for that particular trait, and a very good trait it is. Has there ever been any study or does anyone know if the dished face is just a characteristic or does it serve a function? For instance like a zebras stripes helps it confuse a predator....

SEAmom 01-09-2013 11:07 AM

The jibah (the dish) as far as I know was just a specific identifying characteristic of the breed and didn't serve any kind of survival purpose - I may be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 01-09-2013 11:07 AM

The original Arabians were bred for hardiness, so I think the toughness of the feet may have been a natural characteristic, and once noticed, horses with good feet were actually bred for that trait.

As far as the dished heads, I think that was just a natural mutation that some people found attractive, so continued to breed for it. Some strains like the Shagya don't have pronounced jibbahs, while others do.

So to answer your question in a roundabout way, both were probably original mutations that people noticed and bred for.

Muppetgirl 01-09-2013 11:09 AM

Ok, thanks again!