The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Favorite Blankets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/favorite-blankets-149399/)

allboutjess 01-09-2013 02:42 PM

Favorite Blankets

I am buying my first horse very soon and would like to know what blankets/brands are your favorite. My horse will be clipped during the winter and will most likely be a thoroughbred or atleast have the build of one. I woulc need one heavy with a hood, medium, lite, and a cooler. (possibly also a quarter sheet that either goes over my legs or under the saddle. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

poppy1356 01-09-2013 02:57 PM

Depends on the budget. I love Saxon blankets and so far the 1200d have held up the best of all my brands. I also have a 400g 1200d Amigo turnout blanket which fits my mare better and I like that it is designed with out back leg straps just one that holds the back from flying open in the wind, so her rear stays cleaner.

If I had an unlimited budget I would replace them all with Amigo brand simply based on the fit.

Breezy2011 01-09-2013 03:21 PM

I have a tough 1 blanket for my 2 year old. Heavy weight, I use it on really cold days, but I do not keep it on her all the time, but the next brand I want to get is either Saxon, or weather beeta, or Amigo.

The tough 1 brand is good and strong, but there are other better brands out there.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-09-2013 03:24 PM

I love my Schneider's blankets. I can get 1680D for what other's pay for 600D and they come with a guarantee. Look at all the expensive ones, and then look at Horse Supplies, Horse Tack, Horse Sheets, Fly Sheets and much more from Schneider Saddlery.

JustWingIt 01-09-2013 03:29 PM

I agree^ I bought two Rambos and hated them, returned them and bought FIVE schneiders blankets (turnout sheet, mid weight, cooler, fly sheet, stable sheet) for the same price! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 01-09-2013 03:30 PM

Yes if I could afford SS blankets I would probably try one. I don't have personal experience with them so I didn't mention originally. Unfortunately even used they are so ungodly expensive.

JustWingIt 01-09-2013 03:39 PM

By ss do you mean schneiders? They aren't ungodly expensive-

Here's a comparison-
Rambo mid weight- Rambo Original Medium Weight Turnout Blanket | Dover Saddlery it's $212
And a schneiders mid weight- StormShieldŽ 1200D CLASSIC EURO Turnouts in Euro Fit at Schneider Saddlery it's $79
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 01-09-2013 03:47 PM

That cut is for the low or no withered horses. My mare would require a different fit. Plus I paid $55 for my Amigo heavy weight blanket with hood in like new condition :) I don't like buying new blanekts, can't justify the cost. And SS blankets used are just a few dollars shy of the new price.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-09-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1836783)
Yes if I could afford SS blankets I would probably try one. I don't have personal experience with them so I didn't mention originally. Unfortunately even used they are so ungodly expensive.

SCHNEIDER'S? Expensive? I'm thinking you are thinking of another brand. I've bought the Royal Riders, Amigos and Rambos and while they are very nice blankets, when I discovered I could buy a really nice blanket from Schneiders for around $150 or less if I wanted 1200D, I quit buying from anywhere else.

I recently looked for a junior sized blanket for some yearlings and found several, and none could beat the quality or the price from Schneiders. I paid around $55 each for 3 1200D mid-weight blankets. The heavyweight is around $60 (I hate 59.99 etc).

The 1200D, Storm Shield blankets for adult horses start at under $100. If the OP is not buying her horse until March and can wait to buy blankets, they'll be on sale for considerably less.

Royal Riders, I paid $300 a piece for those in 1990? I still have 2 of the 3 I bought, but OUCH.

Amigos, I found a mid-weight at Dover Saddlery for $160, 1200D and doesn't have the same features the Schneiders blankets do.

Rambo, start over $200.

I can't justify spending that amount on my horses, I just have too many. If I only had 1 or 2, maybe. I've been so satisfied with Schneider's though, I doubt I'd buy one of those more expensive brands just because I could.

poppy1356 01-09-2013 04:03 PM

Haha yes if you are able to buy when on sale that is great. I buy mostly used so ss blankets used are much higher than I feel a used blanket should be. I absolutely will not spend more than 60 on a blanket. I have a Weatherbeeta rain sheet bought new, a fleece cooler bought new, a Saxon heavy 1200d bought new, a Saxon medium bought used and my Amigo heavy bought used and I paid under $200 for all of them combined.

Now if I ever found them on a huge sale, yes I would buy one. When I looked at them at the beginning of winter they were way out of my price range and I bought my medium and amigo for less than one of those medium would be new.