The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   High withers Sway backed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/high-withers-sway-backed-149422/)

phoenmoon 01-09-2013 06:31 PM

High withers Sway backed?

1 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired an new mare who have a very noticeable dip in her back and sometimes it not as noticable as other times and I a,m having a hard time deciding what is causing it and how to improve her top line. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. She is an 8 year old appendix QH just shy of 17 hands

Cowgirls Boots 01-09-2013 06:36 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Subbing
Posted via Mobile Device

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 01-09-2013 08:00 PM

That's a sway back if I ever saw one. Are you positive she's 8? There isn't very much you can do about it aside from improving muscle and weight as she does look fairly underweight as well. Maybe it's just the picture though?

phoenmoon 01-09-2013 08:13 PM

Yes, her papers and vet confirmed her age. I also agree she needs more weight I just got her a day or so ago and am planning on slowly increasing her feed and adding suppliments.

Cowgirls Boots 01-09-2013 08:17 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I don't think that sway bck will ever go away. And it could very well lead to back problems in the near future.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 01-10-2013 08:15 AM

Interestingly, sway backs rarely cause the horse pain when they are genetic (read that somewhere a long time ago). The issue here is the saddle fit.. how the heck are you going to get a saddle on this horse that fits? Her coupling is quite strong (note the slight roach ahead of her peak of croup).

Mostly this horse needs feed and muscling.. and helping her will require a lot of trotting up hills on a loose rein.. rider in a two point.. to help her build abdominal muscles to support her back as much as possible.

She looks more than 8 years old to me.. and she also looks like the spinal processes on her withers are adding to her height.

She has a nice hind leg and her front leg is a bit tied in at the knee. If you can get a saddle built to fit her, as hard as it is to believe.. she may be OK.

phoenmoon 01-10-2013 09:00 AM

Thanks for all the tips. Im not to worried about a saddle. I dont have any intentions of do any ridding with her.

She needed a place to go asap so I took her in. The first time a saw her was when she was delivered to my farm.

She is blind in one eye due to an accident and if I remember right had been jumping 3+ as a two year old eek.

So anything I can do from this point on to help her im happy to try because she just looks so uncomfortable.

Any thoughts on using a chiropractor maybe?

Speed Racer 01-10-2013 09:57 AM

A chiropractor couldn't hurt, but if it's lordosis, nothing is going to get that spine to straighten.

jaydee 01-10-2013 10:22 AM

As so often Elana says it all
Getting some condition on her will help but unless you are seeing visible signs of her being in pain then I wouldnt waste money on a chiropractor as she is how she is and there is little to nothing that can be done to alter her shape. Her muscles and ligaments will all be adjusted naturally to cope with her deformity so probably best not to interfere with things
Its lovely that you are giving her a home

Elana 01-10-2013 11:10 AM

She might enjoy some trail riding. Most horses do like to do something. If she is very quiet she might also make a nice therapy riding horse.

Just ideas. She has some nice legs and I think she could do something. Giving her a shot at life is really nice. Why not give her a shot at something more? She is only 8.