The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Round Pen Advice Please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/round-pen-advice-please-149425/)

RideHorses1626 01-09-2013 06:43 PM

Round Pen Advice Please!

I'm new, like this is literally my first post ever do if this is in the wring forum please move it XD

Alright, here is my dilema. I need a round pen fast because I am planning on participating in Teens and Oregon Mustangs, and some sort of paneled fence is required and applications are out! I have 600 dollars from saving all summer and winter, does anyone know where I could get a round pen for cheap? I live about 30 miles south of Portland, Oregon but we could drive farther to get a round pen for a good price. Or does anyone know a way I could earn money FAST? thanks in advance for everything you guys:]

verona1016 01-09-2013 07:03 PM

I have no idea how much it would cost to put up a panel round pen, but I'd take a look at Wilco or Coastal and see what they have if you haven't already.

rookie 01-09-2013 07:18 PM

I will say that this is something that probably should have been figured out before sending in the application, but the cats in with the pixies now as they say (by they I mean me). I would check out craigs list for a used one. I don't think you are going to find a new one for under 1000. When I shopped around for a round pen it was 1500 or so ball park. That was looking for a round pen with a minimum 6 ft wall that is required by the BLM. I would like a stang in the future and wondered how much it would cost for the set up.

For jobs, I would get one because a horse is expensive. What you can get depends on your age. If you can legally work, I would look into the local grocery store, cafe or stable. If you can't legally work there is baby sitting or housekeeping/grass mowing.

RideHorses1626 01-09-2013 07:34 PM

thanks everyone who has answered:] I know it seems like it should have been figured out awhile ago, but I have been working on looking for one as hard as I can, trying to figure it out since last June when I decided to ento the program. My pen needs to be 5 feet tall because I will be getting a yearling and 5 ft is the yearling standard. I am only 14 so I cant legally have a real job yet:(

Cherie 01-09-2013 08:11 PM

Five feet might be the minimum standard set, but if this yearling has not been handled and has not been alone, a five foot pen will never hold it. My round pen is 5' 6" and several horses have cleared it and even more than that have climbed out in the last several years. I've even had weanlings climb out if they did not have a friend. I used to let other people bring un-handled horses over, but any more, I won't let them bring only one over.

If I were you, I would find someone with a very substantial pen or stall and make a deal with them to keep it until you can get set up properly.

A friend that lives about 1/2 mile from me got a mustang last year at Pauls Valley for the mustang makeover in fort Worth. It ran head-first into a post the third day at his house. The pen was 8 feet tall. He was not even there, but when he came in that morning, it was laying dead where it hit the post.

He called the people from the mustang makeover and they said his was the 3rd one to kill itself and it was only 3 days into it. They offered him another one, but he figured it was not meant to be.

Phly 01-09-2013 08:20 PM

You could look for reclaimed wood from building demolitions. Most excavators would be more the happy for you to haul it off then pay to haul it and dump it. Post a Craigslist ad maybe? If you were near me (you're not though) I have enough wood to build a big pen that I got just that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

countrylove 01-09-2013 08:42 PM

We built our round pen and it only took 2 days. We got good solid posts, cemented them in then used 26s for rails, we also have panels made with wood that we can hang up to make a solid sided pen if and when needed. Ours is 6ft tall.
Posted via Mobile Device

RideHorses1626 01-10-2013 12:29 AM

thanks everyone so far:] I'm still considering everything about the pen. that story is so sad about the mustang!!!

RideHorses1626 01-10-2013 10:46 AM

rookie-
I have not sent in the application yet, not till I get the pen because I am not going to lie on government documents. its a felony.

rookie 01-10-2013 12:24 PM

okay that makes much more sense, and while yes it is a felony that does not stop a fair number of people.