The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How often do you groom/bond with your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-often-do-you-groom-bond-149427/)

hellothere 01-09-2013 06:53 PM

How often do you groom/bond with your horse?

Hey everyone! Just wondering how often you go up to the see your horse. How often you groom. I board at a full-care facility over half an hour away from my house and with school, its sometimes hard to get up after a long day. I try to go up 4 days a week, but sometimes I go up 3 and skip 2 days in between instead of missing one day. Just wondering your opinions and how you feel. Thanks.

kassierae 01-09-2013 06:55 PM

I see my horses 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I groom, sometimes I don't. I've found that as long as they're fed and taken care of they don't care whether they get groomed or not lol.

Phly 01-09-2013 06:56 PM

Every day
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsecrazy4 01-09-2013 07:01 PM

We go see ours everyday. We also catch n feed them. They are not stalled they r out in pasture 24/7.. We groom them when needed also we play w them after eating.. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

hellothere 01-09-2013 07:13 PM

Do you think my horse will be okay if I regularly handle her every other day and once a week every other 2 days? That's what I've been doing lately. Because I love bonding with her and spending time with her and I don't want that to change. She is also pasture 24/7. It's just if I'm at school from 7:45-5, and then I have work to do, and the barn is 40 minutes away, it's a little difficult to balance everything some days... I definitely get up at least 3 days a week and that is a THOROUGH groom... all parts of her body, legs, feet, all!

DriftingShadow 01-09-2013 07:14 PM

I go out everyday after class. 18 hours + working 20+ hours a week doesnt leave a lot of time for riding, but Drifter gets fed every evening and I usually love on him for at least 20 minutes after.

The barn where I board is about a 12 minute drive from campus, and a 15-20 minute drive from my house.

lasso 01-09-2013 07:25 PM

every day but they stay at my house

Horsecrazy4 01-09-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellothere (Post 1837155)
Do you think my horse will be okay if I regularly handle her every other day and once a week every other 2 days? That's what I've been doing lately. Because I love bonding with her and spending time with her and I don't want that to change. She is also pasture 24/7. It's just if I'm at school from 7:45-5, and then I have work to do, and the barn is 40 minutes away, it's a little difficult to balance everything some days... I definitely get up at least 3 days a week and that is a THOROUGH groom... all parts of her body, legs, feet, all!

I think she will be fine :) that's a lot more then some people I know do and there's r on there own property. Do u also play w her? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

hellothere 01-09-2013 07:36 PM

I groom her and handwalk her, sometimes I'll try to get her to follow me and take pictures with her lol. But I'm really thorough about grooming her. She also gets plenty of kisses, love, hugs, and treats.

JaphyJaphy 01-09-2013 07:44 PM

Every day. I work and am in university full time, which doesn't leave a whole lot of time. However, to preserve my sanity, I think it's probably the best bet!

You certainly don't HAVE to see your horse everyday (if you aren't it's primary care giver of course) and not everyone is able to do so, but the more the better I s'pose.